Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I am fortunate that my work pays for a phone, so I have an iPhone 8+ for personal use and an S8 for work. While I prefer the iPhone, I will say that all your complaints are valid and you will probably be happy with your S8. I think, however, you're going to get a lot of hate by posting this here.

For those saying that one phone is completely better than another in every way is wrong. Both phones have flaws that each side can complain about.

So true. I think both ecosystems and platforms are equivalent and there are pros and cons on both sides. Unfortunately there are a lot of folks on MR that are unable to accept that. It can be quite entertaining at times though.

Reactions: jimbo1mcm

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
So true. I think both ecosystems and platforms are equivalent and there are pros and cons on both sides. Unfortunately there are a lot of folks on MR that are unable to accept that. It can be quite entertaining at times though.

I’m just getting bored with Apple that’s one of my reasons for switching and on top of that they are making smart business moves for themselves but the consumers are the ones that are suffering.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
I have an S8 and also an Iphone 7. The S8 is a great phone and does everything I need very well. You might want to wait a couple of weeks and order a Iphone X which will also be a great phone.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I have an S8 and also an Iphone 7. The S8 is a great phone and does everything I need very well. You might want to wait a couple of weeks and order a Iphone X which will also be a great phone.

The X seems great, but I’m sure it’ll remind me of my 6s with the same IOS.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
4. I miss the iOS stock Mail app, nothing in Android is as good in my opinion.

Stock iOS mail app is the biggest POS. Gave up it on it when it couldn't even handle one Yahoo email account without it sporadically stop working and just giving a white screen. And, the only way to temporarily recover is to reset and erase all the device and restore from backup until it happens again.

In comparison, Aqua Mail on Android handles three Yahoo and one Microsoft live accounts with zero issue. There's also Nine client for Exchange Activesync which has nothing comparable on iOS. In general, Android has better quality and selection of apps.

Reactions: macjunk(ie)

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
Stock iOS mail app is the biggest POS. Gave up it on it when it couldn't even handle one Yahoo email account without it sporadically stop working and just giving a white screen. And, the only way to temporarily recover is to reset and erase all the device and restore from backup until it happens again.

In comparison, Aqua Mail on Android handles three Yahoo and one Microsoft live accounts with zero issue. There's also Nine client for Exchange Activesync which has nothing comparable on iOS. In general, Android has better quality and selection of apps.

What’s difference about aqua mail vs. stock mail app in android?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
What’s difference about aqua mail vs. stock mail app in android?

Aqua Mail is feature and customization rich but lightweight, snappy and reliable even on a device with only 1GB DRAM and actively updated. Everything is well thought out, easy and intuitive from automatic account setup with just an email address (no need to input inbound/outbound mail servers, port #, settings, etc.), per account customization, smart gestures like swipe right to mark as read and swipe left to delete, foolproof conversation view where replies are grouped together in a thread, easy backup/restore of settings to export to another device, dark theme, etc. Aqua Mail is a better email client if email is mission critical and not just for casual use.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Good luck in the transition. I am too imbedded in the ecosystem and there’s nothing I absolutely hate about the iPhone or iOS. If anything, with iOS 11 on my iPad Pro has me excited about using iOS. I guess I’m just not the type of smartphone user that has to have tons of customization so I just don’t really see any reason at this point to ever jump to Android.

Reactions: iApple_man

Pockets81

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2017
I think it’s silly of people to say one brand of phone is better than the other when it all comes down to personal preference. My boyfriend, both of my teenage daughters and myself all have apple. My sister, her fiancé and their children have Samsung. We don’t sit there and debate who’s phone is better, people like different things for different reasons. We should just be glad there are options out there to fit each other’s preference. Although my sister really liked the pictures I took of my brand new baby nephew on my iPhone 8 Plus and I like how she has her home screen set up on her S8

Reactions: I7guy

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I think it’s silly of people to say one brand of phone is better than the other when it all comes down to personal preference. My boyfriend, both of my teenage daughters and myself all have apple. My sister, her fiancé and their children have Samsung. We don’t sit there and debate who’s phone is better, people like different things for different reasons. We should just be glad there are options out there to fit each other’s preference. Although my sister really liked the pictures I took of my brand new baby nephew on my iPhone 8 Plus and I like how she has her home screen set up on her S8

Now where's the fun in that? MacRumors would go out of business because 95% of their traffic is people bashing each other's technology choices. :)

Reactions: Pockets81

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I have an iPhone 6s+ for work and a Samsung Galaxy S8+ for personal. When I am eligible to upgrade my work phone in January, I'm seriously thinking of flip, flopping and getting a Samsung Galaxy S8+ for work and an iPhone 7 or 8 for personal.

If Apple releases an update version of the iPhone SE in the early spring, I'll get that for personal along with an Apple Watch 3 LTE.

I prefer iOS over Android, but for me, there is one major negative for work. That is iMessage.

I can't receive iMessage when I'm on my employer's WiFi network because the network settings block services like iMessage for security reasons. I've turned off iMessage on my work phone. But somehow iMessage keeps getting re-activated on my other personal iOS devices and once Apple's servers get updated I stop receiving texts to my work phone as they are all routed through iMessage which I've turned off.

I recently had a chance to compare the Galaxy S8+ next to the Galaxy Note 8 and I was surprised as to how close they were in size to each other. I would consider getting the Note 8 instead of the S8+, but the S8+ with a case fits perfectly in the side pocket of my carpenter jeans.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I have an iPhone 6s+ for work and a Samsung Galaxy S8+ for personal. When I am eligible to upgrade my work phone in January, I'm seriously thinking of flip, flopping and getting a Samsung Galaxy S8+ for work and an iPhone 7 or 8 for personal.

If Apple releases an update version of the iPhone SE in the early spring, I'll get that for personal along with an Apple Watch 3 LTE.

I prefer iOS over Android, but for me, there is one major negative for work. That is iMessage.

I can't receive iMessage when I'm on my employer's WiFi network because the network settings block services like iMessage for security reasons. I've turned off iMessage on my work phone. But somehow iMessage keeps getting re-activated on my other personal iOS devices and once Apple's servers get updated I stop receiving texts to my work phone as they are all routed through iMessage which I've turned off.

I recently had a chance to compare the Galaxy S8+ next to the Galaxy Note 8 and I was surprised as to how close they were in size to each other. I would consider getting the Note 8 instead of the S8+, but the S8+ with a case fits perfectly in the side pocket of my carpenter jeans.

I don't know how people survive carrying two phones. I have been fortunate that my employers have always let me mix it, as long as I was willing to let the IT organization wipe my phone remotely if they desired. There isn't anything on my phone that I can't recreate, so that works for me. The day to day convenience far outweighs the risk it might get lost, and I'd probably wipe it anyway in that case even if it were private. They also usually impose some additional security, but its good practice.

I live in an iPhone household and I'm the only one now with Android, and I've not had any of the problems interacting with them using SMS that I had happen several years ago when I tried. So I've not had a bit issue giving up iMessage. I still have a Mac that I rarely use if I need that. One important point is that you probably have your email and phone number tied to iMessage. If you want to disable it, you need to make sure all the devices only have the email, and that the phone number is removed. If anyone of them has the phone number it will cause it to reactivate it I think.

I would recommend the Note 8 over the S8+ if the money isn't an issue. It has more RAM and a newer version of software which seems to make it perform much better. And the pen and camera enhancements are also nice. I came from an iPhone 6s+ to Note 8 and they are about the same size, but the Note 8 being narrower and taller is a lot easier to use one handed.

You also mentioned the AW. I had an AW for 2 years and wore it every day, and loved having it. I was worried about losing that. I actually like the Gear S3 a lot better. I would have a hard time now going back to AW... even more so than going back on the phone side.

Reactions: Voodoochild346

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
I don't know how people survive carrying two phones. I have been fortunate that my employers have always let me mix it, as long as I was willing to let the IT organization wipe my phone remotely if they desired. There isn't anything on my phone that I can't recreate, so that works for me. The day to day convenience far outweighs the risk it might get lost, and I'd probably wipe it anyway in that case even if it were private. They also usually impose some additional security, but its good practice.

I live in an iPhone household and I'm the only one now with Android, and I've not had any of the problems interacting with them using SMS that I had happen several years ago when I tried. So I've not had a bit issue giving up iMessage. I still have a Mac that I rarely use if I need that. One important point is that you probably have your email and phone number tied to iMessage. If you want to disable it, you need to make sure all the devices only have the email, and that the phone number is removed. If anyone of them has the phone number it will cause it to reactivate it I think.

I would recommend the Note 8 over the S8+ if the money isn't an issue. It has more RAM and a newer version of software which seems to make it perform much better. And the pen and camera enhancements are also nice. I came from an iPhone 6s+ to Note 8 and they are about the same size, but the Note 8 being narrower and taller is a lot easier to use one handed.

You also mentioned the AW. I had an AW for 2 years and wore it every day, and loved having it. I was worried about losing that. I actually like the Gear S3 a lot better. I would have a hard time now going back to AW... even more so than going back on the phone side.

Could never mix the two phones.
I like having them seperate. All that work files/photos/text/apps getting mixed into all my person stuff no way.
IT usually can control and/or wipe the device remotely as well, and if you leave or decide to use that as your personal phone you still don’t know if they are tied to it or not.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Could never mix the two phones.
I like having them seperate. All that work files/photos/text/apps getting mixed into all my person stuff no way.
IT usually can control and/or wipe the device remotely as well, and if you leave or decide to use that as your personal phone you still don’t know if they are tied to it or not.

We are completely different on that. I even have mixed my personal and work on my computer with the Surface Pro. You do need to have some discipline to do it. You don't want something embarrassing popping up in a meeting like your latest Candy Crush game (or much worse). I do have some boundaries. I heavily use OneNote and they are on separate accounts. Recent files need to be policed. I do a lot of online meetings where I'm sharing my screen, so you just have to be careful.

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
Go for the s8. Although I didn't have a 8 in my hands, it's the same as the 7 but faster.

The s8 is fast. No lag. Got the exynos version tho. Only thing I envy from Apple is FaceTime.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016
We are completely different on that. I even have mixed my personal and work on my computer with the Surface Pro. You do need to have some discipline to do it. You don't want something embarrassing popping up in a meeting like your latest Candy Crush game (or much worse). I do have some boundaries. I heavily use OneNote and they are on separate accounts. Recent files need to be policed. I do a lot of online meetings where I'm sharing my screen, so you just have to be careful.

Agreed and I don’t want to take that chance lolz :)
That’s the whole point of the watch for me to be able to leave the personal phone lying around at work since I rely on the work phone heavily and still not miss anything important.
I’ve also recently thought of using google voice to put on personal phone for vacation times when I may dismiss the work phone entirely but if it’s a major emergency soemone can get ahold of my if need be.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
However in ios Whatsapp offers the option to enable automatically save media to Camera Roll or not and that is not offered in Android

Whatsapp on my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ automatically saves media to the camera roll "Gallery"... I can't find a way to turn it off!
[doublepost=1507852854][/doublepost]
have fun with the downgrade

Curious... what were the most tangible benefits in your opinion from the iPhone 8 vs the S7?

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
Now that the Note 8 is out, the S8 plus or S8 series will be pushed to the back for support because the S9 is coming. S8+ probably doesn’t have the 7.1.1 software update yet either.

That is the only reason why I left Android once the 6 plus came out. Android/Samsung do not support their phones as they get older. I was impressed with Apple and how they support their phones vs waiting on the carriers. Love the looks of Samsung but it just comes down to the main ingredient, reliability.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Now that the Note 8 is out, the S8 plus or S8 series will be pushed to the back for support because the S9 is coming. S8+ probably doesn’t have the 7.1.1 software update yet either.

That is the only reason why I left Android once the 6 plus came out. Android/Samsung do not support their phones as they get older. I was impressed with Apple and how they support their phones vs waiting on the carriers. Love the looks of Samsung but it just comes down to the main ingredient, reliability.

Reliability is open to interpretation though. If you put all your stock into updates, the only phone worth a damn would be the Pixel line on the Android side. If reliability means your phone has features and longevity to do well, then Samsung is more in the mix.

Reactions: Demo Kit

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
Reliability is open to interpretation though. If you put all your stock into updates, the only phone worth a damn would be the Pixel line on the Android side. If reliability means your phone has features and longevity to do well, then Samsung is more in the mix.

I wonder if galaxy S5 or S6 users feel that way? Just saying

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I wonder if galaxy S5 or S6 users feel that way? Just saying

Different time and era. S5s are indicative of the plastic, lagwhiz, and janky Samsung. The S6 is a red headed stepchild since it was Samsung's first metal flagship phone, but it failed to offer a SD slot and decent sized battery. Samsung is known for its bevy of features. Rather have those features than iOS' lack of features. Don't care about updates as much as other people because it takes away from my positive experience with my Note 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.