Switching from iphone to VZW android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattwolfmatt, Jun 7, 2010.

1. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Seriously considering switching. I love my iphone, but I can't, um, MAKE PHONE CALLS! I'm on my third SIM card and second replacement phone. I live in Ann Arbor.

Anyway I'll wait until 2pm today to see if maybe (maybe?) Steve will mention a Verizon iphone. Assuming that doesn't happen, are there any people out there who've swtiched from iphone to a Verizon phone? I'm leaning toward the droid, but it seems like old technology, considering how fast android phones were coming out.

A few questions:

1. how is the switch from mobileme (calendar, contacts) to google syncing? I have a Mac. I'd LOVE to keep my mobileme active, and enter events on ical, and have them show up on the android phone's calendar, but I'm not sure if this is possible.

2. Will I lose the ability to play all the music and videos I've downloaded from itunes? (I know I'll still be able to on the iphone, but it would be nice to only have to bring on thing with us on trips).

3. Don't care about the phone, so don't bother talking about that.

4. any other better phones than the Droid? Interested in battery life, call quality, email and web experience.

I guess the biggest thing is the syncing of calendars, and to some extent, contacts. I love how mobileme syncs all my macs and iphone constantly; I was hoping there is a way to do this through the google stuff too.

Thanks.

2. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

You'll lose the ability to be able to do anything productive

3. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Verizon Spokesmen said "No iPhone in immediate future"

4. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

That was unproductive ...

Anyway I booted my Droid out the door b/c MMS messaging was unreliable to anybody but other Verizon phones, and I found the Android interface awfully clunky.

But to answer your questions:

1. Google Sync on a Android phone is great. It should be, since Android is written by Google. You'll find contact, calendar, and email work great. Multiple calendar sync is good too.

2. Not sure about video (though I assume yes), but for music you will need to upgrade your entire library to iTunes plus (DRM Free). Android won't play copy protected files, but you can play any unprotected files. Google iTunes Plus upgrade and you'll figure out how to do this thru iTunes

3. Okay

4. Best phone spec wise on Verizon right now is the HTC Incredible. If you are interested in rooting your phone (jailbreaking it), the Moto Droid is the way to go. Froyo is already out for it.

5. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Thanks for the tip. Your reply was VERY productive.

What if there is a VZW phone announced today? I'm not expecting it, but what if there was? When asked "Is there a Verizon iphone in the future?" did you expect him to say "Yes!" or how about "I can't comment on that." I'm sure - if it's announced today - he was told to keep acting like there is nothing on the horizon.

That being said, I'm 99% sure there is no iphone verizon being announced today. This is why I'm interested in the android phones and anyone else's opinions on them.