Switching from Mac OS to Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jon08, Jul 10, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

Like when you're in Bootcamp you can click that grey icon and you can select "Restart in Mac OS X", is there such option for OS X too? Or do I always have to manually click Restart and then hold alt and then select Windows?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The closest you'll get is going to System Preferences -> Startup Disk, like you'd always do to change boot disks, and selecting the Windows partition then clicking Restart.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah this ^^^ is correct. There isn't a way to do it like the boot camp drivers allow you to do on windows. You could install rEFIt on the mac and this presents a menu everytime you boot up of which partition you want to choose. This way you don't have to hold the alt button to make the different partitions show up. This is also useful if you ever want a tri-boot setup (linux, OS X, and Windows).

4. hoonu macrumors regular

There is also a program called BootChamp. It has one issue I have found tho. If you restart in windows... it boots to OSX. If you use the OSX control panel to reboot into OSX, it will freeze on the white screen.

I have worked around this for some time. Take a look. Other than that, rEFIt is worth a look.

5. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

You can go to system-library-preferencepanes-startupdisk.prefpane and drag it to your dock to create a direct shortcut to it. Saves you a step at least. Personally I just hold the option key while I reboot.

6. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

So if I drag that prefpane thing to my dock, all I do is click on it and it will restart in Windows?