iMac Pro Switching from Mac Pro to Imac Pro question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kalex, Feb 25, 2018.

1. kalex macrumors 65816

Hello

I'm thinking of getting the Microcenter deal for the new Imac Pro.
    I currently have 2010 single processor Mac Pro running with 34" ultrawide dell and 30" Dell regular Monitor.

Question is will I loose anything by going to 27" Retina display of imac pro vs my 34" ultrawide dell. Anyone made a switch? How is the real estate on smaller screen?

I'm thinking of also keeping my 34" or 30" as a second screen
    Performance wise I'm not worried as new imac pro will crush my current setup.

Any thoughts on this?

Alex

2. MadDane macrumors 6502a

If you want to you can keep both of your current screens. But the quality of the built in display will probably be the best of any of them (would be my guess without knowing which screens you currently have).

3. kalex thread starter macrumors 65816

4. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

Unless I pulled up the wrong specs of those displays, the iMP’s display is a higher resolution. It’s obviously a smaller display, but you should still have good screen density.

As MadDane said, you can always still use your old displays, but you may lack some uniformity across all three. Apple does put great, accurate, and calibrated displays in their hardware, so I think if you can handle the size reduction, you should be quite happy with the 5K on the iMP. I just bought the base 5K iMac, and I love the display. Granted I was upgrading from a 21.5” 1080p Dell.

5. Macshroomer, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018

Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I’m coming from a 6 core 2010 Mac Pro and I am currently using the 30” Apple Cinema Display which does not fetch very much on the used market.

I am thinking of using the display with my iMac Pro TB3 dock which has a mini display port so that should really just need a DVI to Mini adapter, correct?

6. kalex thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep resolution is lower on the ones i have. I'm still on the fence if i want to fork over $4k on this. Or just keep using my mac pro until it dies

7. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

That’s always a tough call. If what you have is working and meets your needs, you may be able to wait. Just make sure you’re making proper backups.

I upgraded recently because of the nice display better display and to save space. One positive was that I was able to sell my old cMP and a lot of the upgrades I did to it for good money. That is much harder to do when your machine totally dies.

8. kalex thread starter macrumors 65816

Thats also an option. Will help offset the cost

9. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

I bought a used 2009 cMP for cheap last year and did a few upgrades. After getting my iMac, I basically sold all of the upgrade components and the Mac Pro itself for pretty much what I paid for them. That is what is nice about Apple hardware--it just holds value. My GPU I actually sold for $50 more than I paid for it last year, I guess thanks to the mining craze. Selling the old hardware got me several hundred dollars to go toward my new iMac.

10. Rockadile macrumors 6502

iMac Pro screen real estate would be close to the 30" Dell. Slightly less vertical space.
    It's just a double pixel density 2560 x 1440 (16:9) compared to the Dell 2560 x 1600 (16:10).

Maybe put the 34" and iMac horizontally and the 30" vertically? Mount 34" above / 30" vertically? :eek:

11. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

My personal choice is to keep the 5,1 as long as it can work decently. And hope the coming 7,1 is an upgradable computer (or at least not thermal limiting).

12. tomscott1988 macrumors 6502a

tomscott1988

+1 for the price per £ they are still the best option.

I keep trying to remind people that having 4 technically 6 drive bays (removing the dvd drive) and another possible few using PCI cards that it saves the average user roughly £1000 buying an external array and populating it with discs.

It is an old machine but I ordered an RX580 8gb and I can just stick it in and keep it going. How novelty!

Ok compared to the newer benchmarks of the imac pro they dwindle some, rightly so its £5k and 9 years newer.

But still my mac pro is on par with an equivalent spec hex 6,1. Ive been able to upgrade the processor, ram and graphics card and as a professional photographer and run around 8TB of data per year. In the field you have a duty of care (eg weddings) to ensure data is safe. When you need to duplicate that data once as an onsite back up and then again as an offsite these arrays start to add up.

Its a good machine and is still supported by apple so runs the newest of all software and well and is super stable! My twin apricorn velocity pci cards with 2x 850 evos run 800mb reads and writes. You can add new wireless and BT cards to make airdrop work etc etc

Essentially my initial investment has lasted me the best part of 8 years so far, mostly because apple hasnt replaced it with something similar. Although I have upgraded it ive had no issues at all, nothing has failed and every upgrade has just worked...

I cant say that the iMac pro will be the same if I bought one.

I have to say the Pro is feeling its age and im in the same camp that I hope apple makes something along the same lines, however doubtful. Then I will make a decision.

My mac pro has had 4 different graphics cards in its life, at the time the graphics card it shipped with was a really good card like the iMac pro... but would you really spend £1000 buying an external enclosure and another card to fill it when you want a new one? Regardless of what people think an external enclosure is a super niche item and I cant see them being mainstream any time soon.

Eventually it just costs you more money and its not cheap to start with, its not the same proposition.

Then again its not the same idea, could we call it a pro consumable machine...?

Either way in my field, image making does not evolve so quickly so my needs dont necessitate the best of the best. When im making motion graphics thats a different need all together so I like the fact the Mac Pro can and has grown with my needs.

Im pretty sure im not the only one in this situation. There will be a lot of prosumers as well as pros and plenty of people with lots of data that dont necessarily want to spend thousands on multiple TB3 arraids and 4 year later be defunct by a newer version of TB.

13. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I love my souped up 5,1 6x 3.46 too but it is showing it’s age and I am moving on. It’s pretty maxed out with 32TB of internal, an EVO 840 in a PCIe lane, 64GB of ram, GTX 680, eSata / USB 3.

But lately with Adobe’s CC updates and big files from the new D850 and 60MP Hasselblad, it is really starting to choke, my 2017 15” MacBook Pro smokes it on everything. I also want more room for print finish work in my basement darkroom so the size thing is an issue as well.

So I have a 10 core, 128GB ram, 16GB GPU, 2TB iMac Pro coming Friday. I also have about 48TB of TB3 SSD and enterprise level HDD arrays coming with the SSD stuff sustaining a minimum of 1,500 MBS for scratch and active workflow.

I have been shooting digital (in addition to still shooting film) most of my 30 year career as a photographer, the archive is truly immense and the need to pull from it for stock is way up there.

I’ll take a look at what the new rumored Mac Pro’s offer once they hit the scene, but at the moment, this new iMac ought to really up the game.

14. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

That’s quite the setup!

15. kalex thread starter macrumors 65816

Damn. Not bad.

Have you tried lightroom 7.2 on your current mac pro. Supposedly adobe made it a lot better and it is utilizing RAM/CPU now correctly