Switching from mac to PC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gkallivrousis, Apr 26, 2011.

1. gkallivrousis macrumors newbie

Ok yea i know im sad to leave mac but due to my major i need a Windows computer and bootcamp just doesnt cut it. One problem is i have alot of photos in Iphoto. How do i bring those to windows? and is there a way to keep the events they are in or am i screwed?

Thanks

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

LOL. Seems that you've never used bootcamp before.

With bootcamp a Mac = PC.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

+1
    What do you mean bootcamp doesn't cut it?

4. gkallivrousis thread starter macrumors newbie

except i have used bootcamp because im actually on windows right now...what i should have said is my laptop isnt fast enough for my needs as a computer engineer so is there a way to put my iphoto stuff on windows.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You better don your asbestos underwear - expect to be flamed OP.

People don't switch from a mac to a PC.

You can export the images, I'm not sure if you have the option of producing an XMP sidecar of your images. If you can then you'll be able to retain a lot of your metadata.

6. tmagman macrumors 6502

go into your pictures folder and right click on the 'iphoto library' and click 'show package contents', there will be a couple folders and such but your originals and such will be in the folder 'original' sorted by year and other events based on how you set up your iphoto library and imported pictures. you can simply copy and paste those folders to whatever (portable hard drive, etc.) and there you go, all your pictures ready to go to whatever computer you choose to use.

7. macdouche macrumors newbie

vmware fusion trumps bootcamp

vmware fusion trumps bootcamp

8. macdouche macrumors newbie

Use VMware Fusion, Much better than Bootcamp

Use VMware Fusion, Much better than Bootcamp

9. gkallivrousis thread starter macrumors newbie

i know switching from mac to pc is a little crazy but i really needed it plus i have a laptop which never leaves my desk. so im selling it and building a boss windows computer that will blow it out of water.

10. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

There's nothing crazy about using what you need to do your job. There is something crazy about being flamed for it and I'm glad to see that hasn't happened here.

How did you get your stuff into iPhoto? Did you import directly from a digital camera? If so it is important that you get your stuff out of there. iPhoto library is actually a big folder and "show package contents" gets you inside. Make sure you copy all your photos out to an external drive and you can import them when you get on windows. I use both iPhoto and Picasa and I find Picasa to be just about as good as iPhoto but I like iPhoto better. If I were switching back to Windows, I'd have to consider using Picasa.

One difference is that Picasa leaves your photos where they are. Actually iPhoto can be trained not to copy all your photos into "iPhoto Library", but it is not set up that way by default.

Sorry to see you go. I wish you'd try virtualbox, vmware fusion or parallels before leaving but you gotta use what works best for you.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Sometimes, using virtualbox or VMWare doesn't work, due to 3d driver support.

To transfer back, what I found worked best was to just pull each event out of iPhoto in its own folder. I did it manually over a few days. Yes, it sucked, but Apple's a very, very, walled garden...

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

+1, I use this as it gives me the best of both worlds. :)

13. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I guess I spared myself some of that when I came from PC to Mac. I had been using syncback (freeware) to copy my stuff to a network drive nightly (kind of like using time machine editor.app to only let time machine run at 2am.) When I was ready to "make the switch" I merely powered off my PC and gave it to one of the kids, powered on my new (at the time) Macbook and copied all my stuff down from the network drive. Done. For a while I allowed iPhoto to make copies of stuff in iPhoto Library but later realized it was a trap. All of my media, whether movies, music or photos lives on network drives in formats that are not exclusively Apple centric. This is not because I mind the walled garden. It is because it's my stuff and I would rather manage it myself.

For now, my PIM data (contacts, calendar, memos and todos) lives in MobileMe. I recently sprung for a $5 "contacts cleaner" app that went through and found problems with 2/3 of my data. Phone numbers had become emails and emails had become phone numbers. Zip codes had become phone numbers and comments had become phone numbers. This was caused by issues with Palm Desktop, then Mark/Space Missing Sync for BB OS, then BB Desktop Manager and of course iSync getting into cat fights with the aforementioned non-Apple products. Now my contacts are cleaned up and backed up. I am considering importing them into google contacts so I have "another backup" of my stuff.

If I decided to "move on" to Windows or Linux, I would not be at the mercy of any proprietary Apple containers for my data. The fact that I'm happy and never intend to move on has nothing to do with keeping my stuff "portable" as I think this is simply a good computing practice. I took the pictures, ripped the cd's, entered the data and I'll be hornswaggled if I'll let any company, even Apple, "sell it back to me" or charge me rental for my own stuff. That being said, I freely choose to pony up my MobileMe subscription once a year because I like the seamless way it works across my Mac, iPad and iPhone but the underlying data remains accessible to me outside of Apple's ecosystem any time I want it.

I'm thinking that the next logical step for me is to sign up for one of those internet based backup services. I'll put all my stuff on carbonite or crashplan's cloud and it really won't matter whether I'm pulling it back down using OS X, Windows, Linux or even a web browser.

BTW, I've heard the same thing about drive support for Apple hardware causing problems for Windows installs in either bootcamp or vmware. I use Crossover to run the few dozen windows programs that can run under "Wine" and to me that is better than sacrificing large swaths of my hard drive for a "windows partition" I would only rarely use.

14. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

That's probably true...

15. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

+1

I don't mean to fan the, ahem, flames, but that was pretty funny. :D

16. gkallivrousis thread starter macrumors newbie

well i figured it out i just exported each event since i wanted to keep it organized. you guys need to get over macs being the best. Mac and windows are for 2 different types of people. odds are for the price of a mac you could always build a windows computer to be faster. Yea its crazy i know but true.