Switching from MacBook Air to iMac 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wenghan1992, Apr 25, 2013.

1. wenghan1992 macrumors newbie

Hi, i am deciding between keep using my Macbook Air until it died on me or sell it and buy a new iMac.

I brought my first Macbook Air when i started University 2 year ago and now i am currently in my final year. I brought it is because i would like to have a light weight computer while moving around the campus.

Last year, i brought an iPad Mini because of it design. (Damn apple for designing such beautiful device:apple:) and i found that i rarely use my Macbook Air as most of the task i do can be completed using iPad mini. I am fully aware that Macbook Air is not a gaming machine, so i avoid gaming while using it. I still use my Macbook Air word document and spreadsheet.

Currently i am in a dilemma that since i going to finish my University life and i guess portability of the Macbook Air is no longer a top priority for me and i am going to work after i graduate. Should i sell my Macbook Air now since it is still in a good condition and buy an iMac for a little gaming, larger screen for better enjoyment and see more document while doing spreadsheet?:confused: (My portable needs can be solve using my iPad mini).

Any advise is appreciated. (Sorry for my English, english is not my primary language):p

2. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

Honestly, I'd keep the Air and also buy the iMac. No need to be sorry for your English. Nothing wrong with it.

3. SMDBill macrumors 6502

Your English is great since it is not your primary language. Your message was easy to read and understand.

If your portability needs can be met by the mini and you prefer the size and power of an iMac, I think your idea is a good one. If you need the money from selling the Macbook Air to pay for the iMac, then selling it is the best option. They hold value well. If you can afford the iMac and can keep the Air, that is even better. You never know what your travel or work needs will be and having a bit more portable power may one day come in handy.

4. wenghan1992 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would like to keep my Air too but money is my major concern.

Having both iMac and Air will be the best of both world but money is one of my major concern. I guess i will not need the portable power in the near future job since i will be working in office from 9 to 5 using firm's computer.

Since i am not going to bring my Air to work in the future, it will be sitting on a desk as a desktop replacement and that will defeat the its ultra portable purposes. Sometimes I feel that i need more computing power while using Air for video editing because it will freeze in the middle of the process. The video i edit is for special event or birthday only, which will not happen frequently.

Do you think spending the extra money on iMac after selling my Air is worth it? I mean i can use my current Macbook Air for all the school task and future job task easily but is the money i spend worth the benefit that come with the iMac? (Larger screen, more power, gaming, etc)

Or i just save the money i plan to buy iMac (about $1000) for the future use? (Special event, car, house, etc)

For your information, i am major in accounting, if that help.:eek:

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I'd just wait. What you have is working for you now (except for problems with the rarely done videos) and will probably continue to work when you graduate and get a job.

Re-evaluate in the future when you have settled into your job and (probably) have more money.

6. Arfdog macrumors 6502

7. wenghan1992 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess you're right, i think is the razor thin iMac design (Late 2012) spike my interest in getting one. I know getting an iMac when my current set-up can do any task i want is a luxury. Student shouldn't spend so much money on luxury item when they don't know the hard work take to earn money, right? :eek:

I think i able to upgrade my current iPad mini to iPad mini 2 (hopefully with Retina Display) when it come out using a portion of money i save for the iMac since i do a lots of text reading. (Of course after selling my current iPad mini) :p

I hope my passion for getting an iMac will not lost after entering the working society. :eek:

8. propalms macrumors newbie

Agree with you! Totally!