Switching from Note 3 - iPhone 6S or 6S Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dataexar, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Dataexar macrumors newbie

I've been using the Note 3 for over two years now and decided it's time for an upgrade. It's a great phone, the only two things I didn't enjoy was the camera image quality and some apps (quite a few actually) being only available on iTunes. Removable battery is great, multitasking is great, but for me these are considered a bonus rather than a necessity. I'm planning to pickup one from the Apple Store next week so I need to decide between the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus. I'm going with 128GB of either one in Space Grey.

My main use will be primarily social network apps, taking photos when I don't have my DSLR with me. I know the basics of the pros and cons between the two. The 6S Plus has a larger battery life and somewhat better camera, while the 6S is easier to use with one hand.

I've tested both phones in person before. The 6S Plus is massive even compared to my Note 3, while the 6S doesn't feel small either. I also like the form factor of the 6S much better than the 6S Plus. My main concern is wether the battery/performance/resolution is worth the bigger screen size. Is the optical image stabiliser a must have? How bad is the battery on the 6S? Coming from 1080p to the 750p on the 6S, how terrible is it?

Also, are there any known errors that I should be aware of? Wi-Fi/screen/battery issues? I read about the frame rate issues with the 6S Plus, the videos looked horrible. Is this still the case with the latest update? If anyone has any experience with using both phones/switching from note 3/issues encountered please share.

2. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I use the 6S because the 6+ is too unwieldy in 1-hand.

As for iPhone vs Note. I find apps to be coded like absolute trash on Android, even AAA titles. For example the Hearthstone app is a lot faster and smoother on iOS vs any android phone or tablet; and that is a Blizzard title so not some small indie firm either.

3. Dataexar thread starter macrumors newbie

I've noticed that as well, apps user interface is also a lot better on iOS. As for the battery, are you comparing with the 6S Plus or the Note 3?

4. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

6 vs 6+

5. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

The 6s+ has almost without a doubt the best battery life of any smartphone out there.

OIS in the plus is very handy and IMO if you're going to be taking photos and videos somewhat often, then it's worth it for sure.

Im not sure what video frame rate issues you've read about. I haven't seen or heard of any. (The only thing I can think of is the 15fps of Live Photos)

6. KiraYamato macrumors regular

KiraYamato

I switched from a Note 3 just two months ago.

positives:

-I feel the note 3 is a bit wider than the 6s plus so it actually feels better in my hand.

-battery life is superb. Getting screen on times of 8 to 11 hours depending on settings. Yes i know to differentiate between ios' usage time and screen on time. 8-11 is real sot, excluding background usage of apps and music with screen off.

-whites are more accurate. But this probably depends on the screen lottery, as I have two Note 3s at home and one produces better whites than the other.

-smooth performance. So far. but my note 3 was quite a stable and fast phone too anyway.

Negatives:

-i miss the notification bar and notification lights

-side by side when playing movies or anime, I feel the note 3's colors are better. IPhone's 'realistic' colors look drab and washed out by comparison. You won't notice it when you don't put them side by side though.

-missing the true blacks from the note. It's not easy to produce true blacks on television sets and it costs alot of money to get ones who approach that level, so it was great to see my handset would melt into the dark whenever blacks were produced on the sides. The first few times I had to check if I was actually still holding something, blacks truly melt into my bezel. Awesome.

-getting used to Itunes but it still pales in comparison to how easy it is to connect the note 3 to the computer and just start drag and dropping. You will bump into a few very inconvenient and illogical things when you want to import and export stuff between the phone and the computer when working with the iphone and itunes.

-apple engineers still can't get copy and paste right

No wifi or battery issues for me but there are a few reported issues with the screen that may or may not bother you. You can basically google 'screen issues' or 'yellow/pink/uneven tint' for every phone and get many results on it. It's a lottery. Just search on this forum about the pressure point blemish or the curtain/wave effect on the top of the screen if you have to dig.

Overall i am stillpretty happy with my iphone, but since I'm a fanboy of neither, I will keep an eye on the market and switch back and forth. Both Android and Apple have enough positives and negatives to keep my need for either balanced.