Switching from old phone to iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spartan3500, Jan 30, 2008.

1. spartan3500 macrumors newbie

My cellphone is wrecked, so I need to get a new one. I would like to get an iPhone, but I really don't want to pay an extra $20 a month for the data plan.

Is it possible to just buy an iPhone from the Apple store and just insert my current SIM card into it? Will that get me around the data plan? Will it even work?

I've heard of people hacking their phones, but I still use AT&T. I just want an iPhone with my current contract and no data plan. If you can offer any suggestions or help, I would really appreciate it.

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

no you cant do that. all the applications are activated when you activate the phone with a data plan, including the applications. i am not familiar with jailbreaking because it is lame and unnecessary so i cant offer any knowledge on that part

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You do need to hack with your iPhone, but its not very hard :)

4. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

Your old sim wont work in the iPhone unless you hack it but if you search the Forums, you will find your answer on how to hack it to accept your sim. On that note I don't see the point of owning an iPhone without a Data Plan....just seem pointless.....Might as well just get a razor and be done with it.:rolleyes: