Switching from one Verizon iPhone 5 to another

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by joshlogic, Jun 23, 2013.

1. joshlogic macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Last week I had a bit of trouble with my iPhone 5 and had to restore to 6.1.4. This weekend I purchased a jailbroken iPhone 5 on eBay, and it will be arriving this week.

That phone is on 6.1.2. What steps do I need to do to make that phone my current phone? Is it just a matter of swapping out the sim card and restoring from a backup in iTunes? Will iTunes care that I am not on the latest firmware version when I activate? I want to make sure I don't screw anything up this time!

2. HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

Not sure about the jailbroken part, but I just replaced my iPhone 5 and it is on 6.13 and I don't want to go to 6.14 and so each time I plug it into iTunes I just have to cancel the update. So far that has worked.

Not sure that is what you need as an answer. but hope that it helps

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

being that LTE uses a SIM card, i believe all that needs to be done is pop the SIM card in and go just like a normal GSM phone. if it was a 4 or 4S, you would need to log into your account and add the MEID/ESN to your account.

wherever the SIM card goes, your account and number goes with it. once it authenticates on the network, you should be set.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

Doesn't work like that yet with Verizon even with the 5. I swapped my 16GB 5 for a 32GB 5 and switched the SIM cards and the service still would t work on the new phone until I called Verizon.

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

well, i guess they still need to manually tie the MEID to the account.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't know why yours did not work, but mine did.

I have a Verizon iPhone 5 and the camera would never focus, so I took it over to the Apple Store. They swapped me to a new phone by just switching the SIM and the new phone worked right away. I saw them actually open the box for the replacement phone right in front of me and swap the SIM.

I wonder if maybe they scanned the barcode on the box before bringing the phone out and that somehow reported the swap to Verizon?

7. anaqvi786 macrumors regular

Apparently, it worked for me as a simple SIM swap. If it doesn't work for you, then activate your phone and add the IMEI/MEID. I hope that if you restore, iTunes won't delete the jailbreak, but it is unlikely that it will. Keep us posted!

8. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

now that you mention it, they did the same with me. but i was under the impression they had to input my MEID onto my account, but maybe they didnt. it may indeed be a simple SIM swap.