Switching from Outlook 2015 for Mac to Mac Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MLVC, Jul 29, 2015.

1. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

I've been thinking about switching from Outlook 2015 for Mac to Mac Mail. But I would like to import all my existing mails in Outlook (and folders, rules if possible) into Mac Mail. Is there an easy way to do this? Are there any catches I should be on the look out for?

I think there's no way to sync your Outlook agenda with the Apple agenda, but is there a way to import the "old" Outlook agenda into OS/iOS agenda?

And last question, can I store my mail from a non iCloud address in iCloud, so I can access all my mail on my iPhone and Mac?

I work as a freelance translator, so I would really like to keep my mail on one place, while being able to access it all wherever I am.

2. Significant1 macrumors 6502

Are you talking about switching accounts or just switching client app's?

If it is just Mail-clients. Unless you are running pop3 mail all mails and folder from the server will automatically show up, when you add the account to Mac Mail. Rules though, you likely have to setup yourself in Mac Mail's settings.

You can actually run the app's in parallel and everything you do, will be synced across. So I doesn't have to be a hard switch, so just give it a try and check it out yourself. If it is an exchange account, Calendar+contacts are also synced automatically.

If it is an exchange account, just add it to your iphone and it will also be in sync. You don't need to involve iCloud.

That said I am not a big fan og Mac Mail and you risk getting problem when sending attachments to people using outlook, unless you changes som default settings. It is especially Mac Mail's ability to place attachment in the middle of the mail, which outlook don't like.

3. MLVC thread starter macrumors 6502a

MLVC

Pop3 unfortunately. But I didn't know about the attachment issue. That sorta changes everything. Ah if only you could simply sync between Outlook and iPhone :(

4. Significant1 macrumors 6502

You really shouldn't use pop3, unless you have limited storage capacity on the server. If you have room for all your mails on the server, I recommend using at least imap (if exchange is not an option).
    (imap will give you the same sync capability as exchange, but only for mail. So sync of Contacts and Calendar must be handled separately. Outlook 2011, has built-in support for local sync of Calendar/Contacts/tasks and notes with Apple-apps. It was made before iCloud, so I don't know how iCloud sync handle it.)

If pop3 is your only option.
    - You can either leave the message on the server, for a a period. Then both your computer and iphone gets a chance to retrieve all mails. The disadvantage is that read/flag/folders does not get synced across.
    - or you can setup an cloud e-mail like gmail with almost unlimited storage. Then you can configure it to retrieve your pop3 mails or have your old mail-server redirect them (not forward, because you will loose original sender). You get a new mail-address, but can fiddle with reply-address, if you don't want responses going directly to the new cloud account. Then you can setup this new account on all your devices and upload all your existing mails by setting up both account in e.g. outlook and copy/paste them. MS outlook service likely offers the same possibilities as gmail, but it does not seem like iCloud can check other servers, so it is only an option if your old server has web-mail interface and you can setup a redirection. iClouds storage is also more limited, so to fit all your mails, you likely have to pay for more space.

5. MLVC thread starter macrumors 6502a

MLVC

Thank you for your help. I have to look into imap, I'll ask my provider if that's an option.