Switching from Parallels to Fusion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by punkeb, Mar 29, 2008.

1. punkeb macrumors member

I have Parallels and Windows XP installed on my Macbook. I have two Windows based programs installed as well. I would like to switch from Parallels to Fusion. Will I have to uninstall Windows and the two programs? If so, that might be too much trouble.
    Thanks much

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I have both. I don't think it is as easy as selecting the VM drive in VMWare and running it, but I think there maybe a way to migrate it over. This is something I have never done though.

3. punkeb thread starter macrumors member

Is it possible to have both Parallels and Fusion on my Mac so I don't have to uninstall Windows?

4. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

5. punkeb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks much! Do I need to purchase a copy of the Fusion software as well to use the converter?

6. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

The converter and importer are free but you would need to purchase Fusion to actually run the converted image. You can get a free trial if you just want to test it out.

7. punkeb thread starter macrumors member

Sorry again for another question!
    Should I download the importer or the trial version first?
    If I am happy with the trial version and purchase a full version, can I just add an activation key of sorts after purchase?
    Will it automatically transfer my XP and my two programs or do I need to do that somehow?
    Sorry, I am just not very computer smart.

8. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

No worries

9. punkeb thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, again!
    In the video for the importer it shows to copy a Parallels folder from the desktop into the Importer. I don't have a Parallels folder on my desktop, but I have a Parallels icon that says Microsoft Windows XP. Is that the item I copy?
    :)

10. punkeb thread starter macrumors member

I'm about to give up. I downloaded the importer and the trial version of Fusion. I have tried converting my Parallels Window XP to Fusion but keep getting error messages.
    I guess I just shouldn't have Windows on my Mac.

11. McGiord, Mar 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Why do you want to change from parallels to fusion?
    I have parallels and would like to know if there is good reason to change, thanks
    ________
    BMW S65 history

12. punkeb thread starter macrumors member

I have two Windows only programs that I need to use. One of them is not working at all in Parallels. I have read that most have had success using it in Fusion so that is why I want to switch.

13. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

im either blind or stupid whats this program called cause im kinda just fed up with parallels and its bad preformance

14. nickodemus macrumors newbie

Doesn't entirely answer your question but VM Ware Fusion has a promotion (I think until end of April or maybe it is beginning) whereby people switching to them from Parallels get a discount, check their site.