Switching from PC to Mac. What to get for MY needs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by obatarion, Feb 16, 2010.

1. obatarion macrumors newbie

Hello, my names obtarion :)P) and I have a question. So I am planning on switching to mac asap and and I need some help. I really enjoy how my current pc works. That is things like speed it does things and what not.

Here is my current computer:
    http://www.geekwithlaptop.com/compare-laptops?ccbrl=gateway&ccmdl=4876&ccbrr=apple

I would like one similar to this in mac form but im not sure what to get D:

my choices are as of right now either the macbook air first, followed by the thirteen inch MBP and lastly the white macbook.

Mostly what I use my computer for is "Day to day things" such as web browsing (text things, youtube, hulu) music, video watching and editing. From what I've read the MBA is good for these things but possibly not video editing? More than likely I would be using 'iMovie' but I could wind up moving to final cut express (but id prefer a desktop for that). I also read somewhere that the white macbook and the base model macbook pro were similar, but I do like the aluminum body and illumintated keys, but is that true?

Lastly, would it be abvisable to buy an older model of mac, either from the apple refurbished or a website i am unaware of? And also, what is a good choice for an older desktop?

Links to some ideas for computers:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB543LL/A?mco=MTA4MzMzMTM

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB990LL/A?mco=MTA4MzQ4MDk

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=MTM3NDg3NTI

2. RaZaK macrumors regular

RaZaK

does your video cam output through Firewire (IEEE3494 or Sony iLink) or USB? If FireWire, go with the MacBook Pro 13

3. rootsmaneuver macrumors member

get the MacBook Pro refurb. Illuminated keyboard is awesome. also the 7 hour battery really lasts about that long. i have little to no experience with a MacBook Air but would love to have on of those and a powerful enough desktop. My pockets aren't that deep so I'm stuck with a Macbook Pro. Its a decent blend of power and portability.

the new MBP weighs only 4.5 lbs - not an Air, but damn light.

of the models here the MBP will have you covered a little better for the future as well as it can handle 8 GB of RAM an d the white MacBook only 4GB.

its your decision. what do you want? a super light super portable laptop, or a more powerful laptop. Do you even NEED a laptop? the iMac gets you way more bang for your buck.

btw, the MacBook Pro line should be updated in the near future. you might want to wait on that if thats what you decide you want.

4. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

From what you've described your uses are going to be, and the fact that you like the aluminum laptops better, I'd go with the 13" MBP, but hold off as long as you can for the upgrade, which seems to be coming any second now. You probably are looking exclusively at a laptop, but a 21" iMac is the same price, with more power, etc. Refurbished is fine, but it's your first Mac, so enjoy a new one. That's easy for me to say, but it's your money.

5. obatarion thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a usb video camera and I would like a laptop. A desktop is definately not necissary and is my last choice ( which will probably change :p). When is it believed that the Macbook pro will be updated? Also what would be a good, yet cheaper older model for a desktop, cause from what ive read[ these things (macs) dont go out of date that quickly.

6. RaZaK macrumors regular

RaZaK

if your camcorder outputs to usb, then really, any good deal that you see in the Apple Refurb store will be sufficient for your needs. i don't know how enjoyable editing video will be on the Air. i would strongly suggest getting the either the MB or the MBP for the video editing alone

7. Rendergroup macrumors member

Rendergroup

I'm almost with the same doubt...

Do I need a dedicated Graphic Card? 9600 +256Mb.?

If I will do some "light" work in Final Cut, will I notice the difference between a 9400 and a 9600 Graphic Card?.

The same for Photoshop...

Planning to hook the laptop with an external monitor (19") also

I know this has been asked before.

Thanks