Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EEH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
I will be purchasing my FIRST Mac this month and I decided on a non-Retina MacBook Pro. However, I read somewhere in this site, that Apple will probably be eliminating the non-Retina MacBook Pro in the 3rd Quarter in favor of all Retina machines with a new processor. So.....do you suggest that I wait for the unveiling of the NEW MacBook Pro or just buy now.

Thank you for your suggestions !

EEH

Nov 28, 2010
located
That "new" MacBook Pro (MBP) has already been unveiled in the form of the MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

Depending on your usage, and if you can wait, you either get the current MBP without Retina Display (called Classic MBP or cMBP) or wait till Summer 2013 to get a newer MBP.

And it is only speculation and rumours that point to the cMBP being discontinued.

EwanMcTeagle

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lodz, Poland
Honestly, if you need it (or want it very bad:) then just buy it. There will always be a new Macbook somewhere along the way. I bought mine (2011 MBP) 2 or 3 weeks before the new ones came out, but I didn't give it any second thoughts - the one I got is still the one I wanted.
PS. And you can always sell it and buy the newest one around.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
However, I read somewhere in this site, that Apple will probably be eliminating the non-Retina MacBook Pro in the 3rd Quarter in favor of all Retina machines with a new processor.

I will probably win a lottery too. It's all rumors unless Apple confirms it.

DayVe3000

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012
England
If you want one now - Buy one now!

No one knows whats around the corner pal. So long as you've done abit of research and the spec you plan to buy meets your needs for the foreseeable future - You should be fine.

I can definitely see Apple keeping the MBP around for atleast another revision, but even if they dont - it wont effect you. You'll still have a fairly powerful, well built laptop. It wont suddenly become oboslete over night.

:)

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
i base my buying cycle on when i need something, not on what's coming out. if what's out there now does what you can forseeably need, then there's no reason to bellyache when the new toys come out.

that said, i've never purchased within the weeks of a new product refresh - it's a lesson in frustration.

YMMV.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I will be purchasing my FIRST Mac this month and I decided on a non-Retina MacBook Pro. However, I read somewhere in this site, that Apple will probably be eliminating the non-Retina MacBook Pro in the 3rd Quarter in favor of all Retina machines with a new processor. So.....do you suggest that I wait for the unveiling of the NEW MacBook Pro or just buy now.

Thank you for your suggestions !

EEH

If you like the classic MBP, buy a classic, it is upgradable - and it won't have support just dropped - it is mostly the same inside, except for the storage and ram sockets.

Cheap ram, cheap storage upgrades... the RMBP needs proprietary storage upgrades and is not RAM upgradable.

I WOULD recommend you get the hi-res screen though, 1440x900 on a 15" screen is pants. 1680x1050 is imho not GREAT but is is usable. Besides, i was running 1280x1024 in 1999, i refuse to go backwards in vertical resolution to over a decade ago...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.