Switching from PC to Mac.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EEH, Jan 17, 2013.

  1. EEH macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2013
    #1
    I will be purchasing my FIRST Mac this month and I decided on a non-Retina MacBook Pro. However, I read somewhere in this site, that Apple will probably be eliminating the non-Retina MacBook Pro in the 3rd Quarter in favor of all Retina machines with a new processor. So.....do you suggest that I wait for the unveiling of the NEW MacBook Pro or just buy now.

    Thank you for your suggestions !

    EEH
     
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #2
    That "new" MacBook Pro (MBP) has already been unveiled in the form of the MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

    Depending on your usage, and if you can wait, you either get the current MBP without Retina Display (called Classic MBP or cMBP) or wait till Summer 2013 to get a newer MBP.

    And it is only speculation and rumours that point to the cMBP being discontinued.
     
  3. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

    EwanMcTeagle

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2012
    Location:
    Lodz, Poland
    #3
    Honestly, if you need it (or want it very bad:) then just buy it. There will always be a new Macbook somewhere along the way. I bought mine (2011 MBP) 2 or 3 weeks before the new ones came out, but I didn't give it any second thoughts - the one I got is still the one I wanted.
    PS. And you can always sell it and buy the newest one around.
     
  4. gngan macrumors 68000

    gngan

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2009
    Location:
    MacWorld
    #4
    I will probably win a lottery too. It's all rumors unless Apple confirms it.
     
  5. DayVe3000 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2012
    Location:
    England
    #5
    If you want one now - Buy one now!

    No one knows whats around the corner pal. So long as you've done abit of research and the spec you plan to buy meets your needs for the foreseeable future - You should be fine.

    I can definitely see Apple keeping the MBP around for atleast another revision, but even if they dont - it wont effect you. You'll still have a fairly powerful, well built laptop. It wont suddenly become oboslete over night.

    :)
     
  6. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2012
    Location:
    Toronto
    #6
    i base my buying cycle on when i need something, not on what's coming out. if what's out there now does what you can forseeably need, then there's no reason to bellyache when the new toys come out.

    that said, i've never purchased within the weeks of a new product refresh - it's a lesson in frustration.

    YMMV.
     
  7. throAU macrumors 601

    throAU

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2012
    Location:
    Perth, Western Australia
    #7
    If you like the classic MBP, buy a classic, it is upgradable - and it won't have support just dropped - it is mostly the same inside, except for the storage and ram sockets.

    Cheap ram, cheap storage upgrades... the RMBP needs proprietary storage upgrades and is not RAM upgradable.


    I WOULD recommend you get the hi-res screen though, 1440x900 on a 15" screen is pants. 1680x1050 is imho not GREAT but is is usable. Besides, i was running 1280x1024 in 1999, i refuse to go backwards in vertical resolution to over a decade ago...
     

Share This Page