Switching from Rogers to AT & T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by khs254, Sep 26, 2008.

1. khs254 macrumors newbie

Hello --
    I've read a few different opinions on this so I just thought I would ask. After purchasing an iPhone in July in Toronto I have recently learned that I will be moving to New York in January. Of course I signed the contract and have been dealing with my bills ever since. So far I have figured that if I cancel my Rogers plan I'll get billed for the $400 cancellation fee... but then what? I'm confused as to my next steps: Can I move to New York and use my inactive iPhone with AT & T and get their plan? Or will they not let me use my phone at all and I'll have to get it unlocked... at which point I'm wondering how I can even get a contract with them? Would I have to buy another phone and just switch the SIM card to my iPhone?

I am confused.

Help?

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

$400 cancellation fee!! Why not just give them your firstborn? For that price Rogers should unlock your phone but I doubt they will. Likely you'll have to start all over in NY with a new phone and plan. The good news is that compared to Rogers AT&T is a much better deal.

Welcome to NY by the way. I hope you walk very, very fast. :)

3. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

Good luck dealing with rogers, hopefully you will get a good rep who can cut down the cost of the cancellation fee, but yes, you are gonna have to get another iphone in new york, unless the 3g is unlocked by January. But if not you should sell your 3g in canada and get another one in the U.S.

4. khs254 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just read a bunch of posts on various sites that suggest that AT&T would unlock your phone for you because they want you to sign a contract with them... is that true?

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sell the phone and contract to someone else. Then buy a new phone in the US. You cannot (yet) transfer from one provider to another with a locked iPhone.

TEG