switching from speakers toheadphones on my mac mini

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sossity, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have speakers connected right now to the headphone jack burk would also like to be able to switch to headphones without always disconnecting and reconnecting speakers and haeadphones from the single headphone jack. Is there some.kind of adapteri could.use for this purpose? my speakers do not have a headphone connector on them.

If there are typos onthis post that is because I am having to use a tablet now.

2. mfram macrumors 65816

Yes, I'm pretty sure I've seen headphone jack splitters. But they will bring down the power that goes to each device. Might or might not be a problem for you.

Another alternative is to get one of the many USB sound devices on the market. They look like a little USB flash drive and typically have a headphone jack on them. Then you switch between internal and USB sound on the Mac.

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a usb 2.0 hub connected to my mac mini & on it it has a headphone jack and microphone jack, I tried plugging in headphones to the hub jack, but sound still came out the speakers.

what is the difference between the jack on the usb hub, & a dedicated usb unit with a headphone jack on it?

4. zen macrumors 68000

zen

If you plug headphones into the headphone jack, you CANNOT select another output. It will always switch automatically back to the headphone output.

I solved this by using a Griffin iMic. Now my audio output options are Internal Speakers (Mac mini), Display Audio (Thunderbolt display), or iMic USB audio system. Now I can switch between the iMic and Display Audio with no trouble, just by option-clicking the volume control on the menu bar.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k