Switching from T-Mo to AT&T question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bballcat03, Mar 10, 2014.

1. bballcat03 macrumors newbie

Switching over cause where I moved tmobile doesn't have **** for service and have a question.

Can I just take my tmobile iPhone and put an ATT SIM card into it, or does it need to be unlocked by tmobile in order to work?

2. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

T-Mobile has to unlock it for you to use it with AT&T

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yup, you'll most likely need to have your phone unlocked.

4. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

i was under impression that all T-Mobile iPhones are factory unlocked.

5. bballcat03 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I just call them and have them unlock it?

I don't owe anything on it and is mine outright, so I imagine they should do it without problem?

6. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

What model iPhone do you have? You should be good if it is 5S ... according to apple it is unlocked.

from apple.com's website:

Attached Files:

7. bballcat03 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

It's only unlocked if he bought it directly from the Apple Store at full price. Otherwise he has to call T-Mobile and ask them to unlock it.

9. bballcat03 thread starter macrumors newbie

and of course tmobile system is down or got reset or some bs, so both reps told me to go through an unlocked service and they would just credit my account.

Sooooooo what do I do now?

10. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

LOL. don't count on them reimbursing you for an outside unlocking service. Chances of that happening are slim to none.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I can;t speak for TMO, but AT&T has been VERY generous with crediting me for this and that. It's very possible they will apply a credit. How much? Well, that is sort of up to the rep.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

You *do* realize that is ONLY for a full-price phone from Apple? It doesn't apply to phones bought from T-Mobile on their 0% interest installment plan.

bballcat03: I found this info via this link.
    T-Mobile Mobile Wireless Device Unlocking

13. bballcat03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, considering they have already credited my account $20 without me doing anything yet, I'd say my chances are slightly higher than slim-to-none. But thanks for your input.

14. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

A 3rd party unlock service for T-Mobile can take up two weeks. I would try again with them to see if they can put your request through.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

This right here seems like a pretty sound argument for buying unlocked phones. Dealing with carriers and jumping through their hoops to unlock the phone that you own is a PAIN.

16. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Wow, never heard of any carrier doing that. Kind of cool of them to do actually. Still, it's probably worth calling them again today to see if their system is back up.

17. wicker21 macrumors member

wicker21

Yep, just call and ask for the phone to be unlocked so you can use other SIM cards when traveling. Took about 72 hours for it to go through. No cost, and they were happy to do it, provided you meet all of the requirements.

18. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

They gave me $20 for telling them I kept dropping calls. That's called "throw away money," a limited amount that most call center employess (not just T-Mo) are allowed to give to customers to shut them up (I used to manage a Satellite TV call center where the throw away was $15 x 5 months). Unless the price has dropped recently that's a far cry from what it will cost to unlock your phone. They have limits. Like I said. Good luck.