Switching from T-mobile to Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fre3way, Apr 30, 2015.

1. fre3way macrumors member

I currently saw verizon's new 10GB data promotion for $80 plus $15/line for edge bringing me to a total of $125 before taxes. How much taxes are there usually for the verizon lines and how are the lte speeds? I heard t-mobile was the fastest but I have gotten mixed reviews. Would you recommend making the switch or not?

2. CYKBC macrumors 6502

3. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

The taxes are going to be at the same rate you're currently charged at T-Mobile, which varies by state. My friend with Verizon said that they used to be quite fast, but slowed down quite a bit over the years. Their "XLTE" helped some, but we live in Cleveland which is one of the markets for it. Are you currently on T-Mobile? If not, try out a Test Drive. T-Mobile will send you an iPhone 5S to use for 7 days on their network. The cost is free (~400 credit hold).

4. kargurin macrumors regular

kargurin

For a week I took a T Mobile iphone 5s (Test Drive program) and a Verizon Note 3 around with me and performed speed tests everywhere. The T Mobile phone was fastest every time. And faster than the phones in the Verizon store. This was in Dallas-Ft. Worth. BTW did you know that the Speed Test app chews data like mad? True story. Anyway I've been with T Mobile a week and don't regret the change.

5. fre3way thread starter macrumors member

I am with tmobile right now and I totally agree with you about their speeds. I've been using it and its really fast. I checked out the verizon store iphone 6 and it runs very slow. Maybe its because I'm used to the tmobile speeds. Anyways, the only benefit of switching to verizon is getting coverage everywhere. Tmobile tends to have dropped calls indoors.

6. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

i used to have verizon UDP for a while, and them switched to Tmobile ones (because they have legal tethering). verizon is pretty fast, i got ~90mbps with iPhone 5. Tmobile really depends on location, in some places you get 60, 80, and in somewhere else you probably just get 'no service', especially while you are in a building. but wifi-calling on Tmobile helps a little bit.

my advice, if you are going to tether a lot, go Tmobile. (they have 5g free tethering, and 5g LTE+unlimited 2g mobile broadband plan for $10). if you are going abroad, go Tmobile (unlimited international data and text? it's ridiculous. though they claim you get 2g speed, but i get 3g in canada and china. and for $10 tethering plan, it's unlimited 3g international tethering!!! if you combine that with wifi calling, that's unlimited everything roaming FOR FREE. really, it's just ridiculous).
    if you are traveling a lot (not internationally), go verizon. maybe Tmobile is good at your home, it may not be the same just couple blocks away.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Is "5g" = "4g"?

8. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

5GB LTE tethering...

9. fre3way thread starter macrumors member

I have the unlimited data plan from tmobile. My only concern is that I will have to watch my usage if I do switch to verizon 10gb plan. Other than that, the speeds for tmobile are a lot faster than verizon when I tested it. I'm just not sure what to do. Are you satisfied by switching to tmobile?

10. I7guy macrumors G5

Coverage to some is a big deal. As far as speedtests it depends on location; in practical use anything over 10 on an iPhone 5s or 6 is sufficient for anything.

11. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

I believe they have lots of text reminding you to watch your usage. If 10g if fine with u you don't have to worry

Price wise, yes I'm satisfied. I have two lines of unlimited everything + international roaming (I travel a lot) and 10g legal tethering now for the same price as Verizon. And given what I'm paying for, yes I'm satisfied. Though it's far from decent and reliable, but I also have an ATT UDP which helps too

Just pure quality wise. Verizon is definitely the winner.

You tried Verizon in their store or you've tested it in different locations

12. zone23 macrumors 68000

When I think about Verizon for 80 bucks I think that's pretty good maybe I should switch so I can make phone calls in the rear of Home Depot. Then I think wait streaming music counts against your data use, that's a problem. No thanks Verizon.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Alright.

14. zone23 macrumors 68000

Yep just not willing to give up unlimited music streaming just to make a phone call at one business. So its known Sprint users have the same issue at the same location. If you don't stream music at all then yeah Verizon is perfect, there will never be a better carrier ever.