Switching from the Edge to the 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by docprego, Dec 18, 2007.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

If I get the current iPhone, will I be able to switch to the 3G model once it becomes available? There is no guarantee that AT&T will be the carrier for the 3G iPhone, but if they are will they allow it?

If the 3G carrier is not AT&T, would I have to break my contract and pay a fee to switch to 3G?

Also do you think the 3G plan will be the same price as the Edge plan?

2. aridon macrumors member

AT&T has a 5 year exclusive on the Iphone so they will be the carrier. If you want to pony up the cash for the new phone they you can have one. They aren't going to allow you to swap your current phone for it, this isn't electronic welfare. You could sell your old phone on ebay a month or two before the new one comes out and use that money to buy the new phone. Otherwise get ready to buy it.

3g is already included in the price of the plan. They don't charge any more for it on other phones same will be true for the Iphone.

3. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you I was under the impression that it was a 1 year exclusive.

I wasn't intending to ask for a swap to the 3G phone, I planned on buying it and selling the previous model.

4. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

interesting, wasn't aware 3G was included in the price... :/

well I'm sure you could still fetch a pretty penny for your 1st gen iPhones on eBay, especially those who have the old school models :)

5. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

3G itself isn't something extra you pay for if you want it. It's just like EDGE in the current iPhone. You don't pay extra for having an EDGE chip, it's just part of the phone.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Looking at their website, it appears that AT&T's unlimited data plans for most phones is $39 a month. Yet you're saying that 3G phones only pay $20 a month like the iPhone which has EDGE?

What am I missing? Can you post a link showing the same rates? Thanks!

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Too be honest i think 3G will come and people will realize it isn't that much better. Reason i say this is because 3G is scarce in the US today, and when you don't have a 3G signal you'll be using EDGE.

No doubt in my mind though that the iPhone data plan for 3G won't exceed $25 per month.

I'll be buying V2 if it is actually a brand new better model.

8. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I've had 3 phones on AT&T's $20 a month unlimited MEdia Net data plan since January: 1st (Samsung A707) was 3G, 2nd one (SE Z500a) was EDGE, and the one I have now (Samsung A737) is 3G. It's been $20 the whole time. They haven't said anything otherwise. So it doesn't matter which phone/connection method you use, just buy an internet-capable phone, pay the $20, and you have unlimited internet. I don't know exactly how it is with smartphones, but that's how it's been with regular phones.

9. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

AT&T has a 5 year exlusive contract with the iPhone, What if apple calls the iphone V2, iCell. We dont know the contract AT&T has with apple, it could just be for iphone V1.

10. aridon macrumors member

Why piss in AT&T's cornflakes when Apple is making a **** load off the phones and a % of the contract revenue? There is none. They have no desire to mess with their relationship with AT&T so you can expect it to last at least as long as the contract is for. Breach would be very costly mistake for Apple, not only in the loss revenue but in costs of lawsuits, it won't happen.

11. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

How would it be a "breach"? You dont know what the contract says or anything about it. As i said before it could just be for iPhone V1.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Thank you for the info. I looked that up. However, Media Net sounds more like the $5 a month I paid for my LG clamshell to access "the web" over Verizon, and not unlimited internet access.

So I'm still looking for anyone who paid less than a $39 data plan for a smartphone on AT&T...

It's quite possible that Apple will negotiate some kind of cut rate plan for the iPhone 3G, but we just don't know yet.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The only way that could be true is if AT&T's lawyers were top-grade idiots. Like, "they should be fired" kind of idiots.

So, anything's possible, I guess, but I just don't see that as likely.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think I'm in love!

Hey speaking of swapping. If I buy a MacPro now and they come out with a 20-core MacPro in 2015 can I swap it providing Apple still makes the MacPro?

15. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Once again swapping has nothing to do with my questions. Read the original post and you will find that I am simply asking about switching to the new model, not asking for a swap. There is a large difference, I expect to pay for the new model and sell the old one. I do not expect AT&T to offer currrent iPhone users a new model, that is just silly.

16. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I asked about this too when I purchased my iphone. I was told that I could just swap the sim cards and then activate the new phone in itunes. This process shouldn't be any different than if you lost or broke your phone and had to buy a new one.

17. thegman1234 macrumors 6502

thegman1234

The service provider charges whatever they want for an unlimited data plan. In the case of the iPhone, it's only an extra 20 dollars a month. So when they iPhone switches to the 3g chip, it will still only cost another 20 dollars. The price won't raise as the service is the same, the technology in the phone itself is different.

Hope that helped.