Switching from Verizon and getting an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PD081, Jun 9, 2009.

1. PD081 macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I am planning on getting my first iPhone when the 3G S comes out. I am currently a Verizon customer so i'll be switching to AT&T and I definitely want to port over my current number, since I have had it for over 5 years.

What is the easiest way to do this?

Should I preorder the phone on the AT&T website? (keeping in mind that I still will need my verizon phone active until I get my iPhone in a few weeks when they are released)

Or should I just go to an AT&T store when the phone comes out and get the phone there and have them port my Verizon number over to a new AT&T account?

Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For you, I would say walk into a store and get it done if you need to port that number over. Less risk of them ***** things up.

3. PD081 thread starter macrumors member

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Welcome to the dark side...

In store is definitely your best bet. Had a friend who tried doing theirs over the phone (also from Verizon, he was) and it ended up never going through. He had to go into a store a couple days later and restart the process.

5. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I switched from Verizon 2 months ago. All I did was go into the AT&T store and they took care of everything, including transferring my same number and contacts.

6. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

I am in the same boat as the OP but I have to get mine from Apple since I have Gift Cards that I need to use up. Can I purchase and have my phone activated at the Apple store? Can it all be done online through Apple? Or at somepoint do I need to get to an AT&T store? With $200 in Apple Gift cards, no way I am ordering through AT&T...It's gotta be Apple

7. PD081 thread starter macrumors member

Oh you were able to get your numbers transferred from your Verizon phone to your iPhone? Thats good to hear I didn't think that was possible. Thats gonna save me a major headache of copying over all my contacts myself!

8. MEDiphone macrumors member

yes, this would be radical. I was going to start a thread asking if this was possible but very nice to hear it is!

9. Lou142 macrumors member

Switching over

Hey all, just pre-ordered my the 3G S through the apple store (purchase yesterday). I chose to port my phone number over from Verizon during the online purchasing process - I am hoping not to have to go to a store to finalize the process. During the ordering process I chatted with an online rep from the apple store who stated that I should be able to activate my iphone with my ported phone once I received the actual phone in the mail. I asked if it was similar to activating a credit card, and she answered in the affirmative. Anyone else get the same information?