Switching from Verizon to AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zirkle2007, Jun 8, 2008.

1. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

So I'll be switching hopefully this week. I'm looking for some information first though. I want to keep the same number and I'm wondering what I need to do to do this. My contract is up with Verizon so I'm just paying until the iPhone comes out, so no worries about my contract. Do I need to do something through Verizon or will AT&T take care of everything?

Thanks in advance!

2. ladysman macrumors regular

At&T will take care of everything. I'd recommend going to your local At&T store. I just did this a couple of months back.

3. zirkle2007 thread starter macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

How will this work since they can't activate the iPhone there though? Should I take my laptop with me?

4. dangerfish macrumors 6502

You do everything yourself at home. iTunes will handle the activation and transfer of your number for you. Just connect the iPhone to your computer. You will have your phone activated, number transfered and you music, photos etc. all transfered to your phone in 10 minutes. Its easy cheesy!

5. zirkle2007 thread starter macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

I'm assuming I need to notify Verizon after the fact so they stop billing me, right?

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Once your port is complete Verizon will know officially that you have terminated your service with them.

7. rayward macrumors 65816

Nope. When iTunes ports your number over it cancels your Verizon account. Just make sure you won't owe Verizon any early termination fees, because it's all automatic and instantaneous.

8. dangerfish macrumors 6502

This is absolutely correct. It is so easy, it is stupid!

9. DougiesGoinDeep macrumors newbie

I am thinking of doing the same thing, canceling verizon to get the new iphone with att.

But I am still under contract. Although, due to a recent policy change (couple cent increase in some small fee) I think I can get out of the contract and avoid the ETF. What order do I need to swithc in order to keep my current number? Cancel VZ then get iphone with contract, or use itunes to sign up for new iphone, port number, then call VZ to say that the recently canceled account should not receive an ETF???

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

All you need to do is this:

1) Buy iPhone

2) Plug into iTunes and tell it you are porting your number

3) Enter Verizon account information (account number and phone number)

4) Click OK

It's really that easy. AT&T does everything for you from there. You don't have to tell Verizon anything. Just make sure you don't owe them money for the early termination fee. And FYI -- I used the tactic you mention in your post to get out of Verizon for the original iPhone and I'm sure they've plugged up that loophole. But it did work for me a year ago this month. If you go that route and think you are going to rely on that method to get you out of the early termination fee, you will end up having to pay the $175.

11. DougiesGoinDeep macrumors newbie

They will give me an ETF because I am still under contract. At what point do i fight this, I am 99% sure I can get out of it. It's not really a loophole. The contract you sign, for any cell service not just verizon, is bound by an agreement that you pay whatever fees are present at the time of the signing. If a fee is changed, no matter how small, the company has broken that contract agreement and you are no longer legally bound to it. This happens fairly frequently, if you argue enough with them they will waive the ETF and let you go, they have to. It's not really a loophole that can be plugged.

When you did it, did you fight the ETF after getting the iphone? Or did you warn them that you were leaving beforehand?

12. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I got out of my verizon contract the same way you PLAN on getting out of yours, but you have a problem. Verizon has NOT changed it's prices in the last 4 months, and you can not tell them that you do not agree to the March fee change because when you get your bill for march, it says in small print "By paying this bill, you agree to the terms and fees of this bill" or something like that./. SO basically, unless some fees changed recently, if you didnt pay your bill since april, then you will be HOSED.

HOWEVER, i was able to call Verizon and tell them i wanted to cancel due to those reasons. I had to talk to a million different people and sometimes hang up and call back, but i got through to a good supervisor who took care of me and put the account on a hold so that it was not canceled (then i would loose my phone number) but the account was on hold pending a number port, then canceled with no fee.

So far, 1 month and no bill or issues from verizon.

13. DougiesGoinDeep macrumors newbie

put the account on hold, didnt know you could do that, exactly what I need, thanks

for anyone that wants to do this, there was a billing change on May 1, 2008. You have something like 60 days to dispute the charge and cancel your account. read about it here...http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=807658&page=28

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I did it beforehand, about two weeks before i got the iPhone in 2007. It was all good to go. I'm saying I don't think you can get out of your contract without the fee because they realized a lot of people were using that method (over a year ago) to get out of their contracts and so I'm sure they've made changes to fix it.

You only have a 60 day window after they change the fee to cancel. So, if you've had no fee changes in the last 60 days you are out of luck. But if you do, you're good!

Just remember, when you call about the 60 day thing they are going to give you a LOT of resistance and will most likely flat out lie to you and tell you it doesn't matter. Just be polite and persistent, and ask for a supervisor if the first person is unwilling to do it or doesn't know what you are talking about.

When I did it it took me 45 minutes until they agreed (they put a note in my account about it) and then they STILL sent me a bill for the $175. So I had to call back and tell them to look at the note on the account which was another hassle, but it finally got done.

Good luck!

Oh and also, remember that the bill changes are NOT the same for everyone. Just download your last 5-6 months bills and look for a change in fee (just because someone else's changed in May doesn't mean yours did too). You can download PDFs of your bills from VerizonWireless.com

15. bkarre macrumors newbie

I'm planning on doing the same thing, but I would like a little clarification.

We currently have a family plan with verizon, and our contract is up July 3rd. We would like to port all numbers over.

When is the earliest day we can switch to AT&T without paying the ETF? I understand the account needs to be active for the cell numbers to still be available to port over, but I'm still a little unclear about what happens when a contract runs out.

Thanks.

16. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

With Verizon they will want you to pay the ETF up to the last day because technically you are still under contract. Like others have said though, you can argue this point but why wouldnt you just wait another day or so before you cancel just to be sure? No reason to argue over 3 weeks, is there?

17. DougiesGoinDeep macrumors newbie

I think Verizon is pro rating the ETF now. When I called last week just to see what my ETF would be, they told me $85, my contract ends this November.

18. impact_blue macrumors regular

All I gotta say is goodluck man. It's possible to cancel your contract w/o ETF under those circumstances, but they wont let you without a big fight. Verizon has it's customer in a tight grasp. I should know, I've been with them for 8 years, that ends this week =D

19. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

I have 3 lines with them on a family plan. One is out of contract and 2 aren't. I plan on just biting the bullet with them. Good ridense from my pespective!

20. jmurrayphoto macrumors newbie

I tried going on At&t's website and it asks for your Verizon # to see if you are even able to port your existing # and it said no... is this only available in certain areas? I have a 609 Verizon # and just moved to San Diego so could that have something to do with it?? My contract with Verizon isn't up until next year, but I am thinking about getting a new phone with At&t out here for my business. I'd much rather keep my 609 # if possible.