Switching from Windows - How do you Copy a DVD on a Mac and Burn a Copy

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by NewMacUser20009, Nov 15, 2011.

1. NewMacUser20009 Suspended

I'm in the process of switching from a PC to a Mac. I pick up my new iMac this Friday.

I have been backing up my DVDs with my PC using DVD Shrink & DVD43 to rip an ISO file, then burning the ISO to a new disk. I typically also rip a file to my hard drive to watch on my iPad using handbrake.

While I know handbrake works fine on Mac to generate files for my iPad, I am having trouble finding any information on what people are using to Rip and Burn ISO's. I've read that most people previously used a program called Mac The Ripper, but it is incompatible with OS X Lion. Are there any other solutions out there for Mac?

Also what are you using to burn the files to DVD?

2. mBox macrumors 68020

3. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I back up my dvds using a two step process.

First I use Ripit, this rips a .dvd file to your hard drive. It is not burnable.

Next, I use DVD Remaster to remaster it into a video_ts folder.

From there it is ready to burn. I use toast or the dvd burner function in DVDremaster

You will also now have it on your hard drive for digital backup

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That will not result in a playable video DVD. RipIt and Handbrake are good. Stick with RipIt if you want a full copy, Handbrake if you want just the main feature.

6. prestonkd macrumors member

prestonkd

Actually, it will, if you select the copy of the .dmg from within Disk Utility and burn from within Disk Utility as shown in the directions in that link. Oddly enough, if you go to the .dmg in Finder and burn it that way, it will not work.

7. careypo macrumors member

As long as your DVDs aren't encrypted, Disk Utility is the easiest way to back up your DVDs. You simply make a disk image in Disk Utility of the DVD. Then eject the DVD. Select the Disk Image you just created and click the burn button. Disk Utility will ask you to put in a blank DVD. Simple and free.

8. NewMacUser20009 thread starter Suspended

With this approach will the entire disk fit? I have been using DVD Shrink to whittle DVD's down to fit on a single disk. I typically only copy the main feature and the English audio track.

Also, someone mentioned using handbrake directly. Is it possible to rip to an mp4 file, then generate a playable DVD off of that file?

Thanks to everyone for their input!

9. NewMacUser20009 thread starter Suspended

Follow up

Just as a follow up. I've gotten the process to work by:
    • Use Handbrake to rip the DVD to an iPad format mp4. (I sync this copy to my iPad as well.)
    • NOTE: If the DVD is Copy Protected, you have to also have VLC installed - also VLC & Handbrake have to both be the same version: both 32 or both 64, or you get an error message.
    • Use Burn (http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html) to burn the mp4 to DVD. Burn automatically converts the mp4 to the proper format so that it can be burnt to a standard video DVD for use in DVD players.

10. NewMacUser20009 thread starter Suspended

2nd update

Although Burn successfully burned a disk which played within Apple's DVD player, it would not play on my Sony DVD player due to Region coding. The only options are PAL & NTSC, I've tried both unsuccesfully.

Any suggestions?

11. NewMacUser20009 thread starter Suspended

Final Follow Up

I eventually gave up trying to get burn to put a region code my DVD's, & just bought an HDMI cable for my iPad/iPhone and played movies from them.

I now use Handbrake (with a VLC plugin) to rip video files to my Mac. I then use Subler to add album art & meta data. Finally I import the file into my iTunes library and sync to my iPad/iPhone.

I eventually also bought the new apple tv, which makes everything work really well together.

I wish I could burn movies for people from time to time, but I would say the entire workflow for ripping a disk & viewing it is now 1/3 of what it was when I ripped & burned DVDs.