Switching from windows to mac for business - experiences?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheCopywriter, Jan 14, 2016.

1. TheCopywriter macrumors newbie

Are there any other small business owners here who have switched from windows to mac? Can anyone report a huge improvement in productivity?

2. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Subscribed.

Interested to see what comes from this. Personally, I am far more productive on my Mac than I could ever be on a pc, thanks to thinks like Textexpander, Keyboard Maestro, Hazel, Alfred - that, and hardly ever losing time with program stalls, software updates and related issues... So would only imagine that the same, were it to be multiplied across a business system, would surely have a positive effect!?

3. TheCopywriter thread starter macrumors newbie

I am especially interested in the imac 5k.. in terms of the better display. Im a copywriter so im wondering if the higher text clarity might increase my productivity or enjoyability of typing.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2016 ---
    **enjoyability of writing

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

The single largest issue I've encountered in helping my fathers company start a transition was browser compatibility with certain sites that require digital certificates plus ActiveX controls and as such can only use Internet Explorer. He's been stuck with Windows since the 90's and they've still got them but are planning to transition to Mac either this year or the next since they switched broker dealers to one that is more with the times and will work with Safari/Chrome/FireFox and isn't dependent on the OS.

There are also some banks that still require IE also, for functions like scanning checks.

One way around this of course is a virtual machine running Windows for IE access, and I've been running one since 2008 with XP then Win 7 later for home use since we switched to Macs in 2007 at the home office. They also used special software (Sage ACT!) that only supported windows and a workgroup environment. But a lot of this is getting to legacy status and most people will have no problems in 2016 doing this.

I would highly recommend the 5K iMac with an SSD. We just got one where I work and it's stunning. I'd shy away from the 21.5 a bit but you can also get an SSD in those too, but don't get the HDD as it's a slow 5400rpm unit. We've got a few 2012 models and they are a drag to use. The Mac Mini 2.6/8GB/SSD is also a good combo if you don't need a quad core or dedicated GPU and want to use existing monitors or have multiples that match. Also lower priced, but not as powerful. This is what we will be going with for the office since the workstation users don't do much outside of a browser and MS Office and Acrobat Pro.

As a copywriter, I think you would LOVE the 5K iMac because the text is so clear having 4X the pixels. Even sitting up close it looks amazing. I use a rMBP and a MBA many times throughout the same day and it's quite the difference having to go back to my MBA for work use vs my rMBP. It'll spoil you though!

For productivity, yes there can be an increase, especially if you are coming from older hardware or anything with a spinning HDD as the OS drive. Plus file sharing is a breeze between multiple Macs and integration with your iOS device is a bonus if you have one. You can easily fit multiple documents side by side on the 27" too, good enough to not need a 2nd monitor, though you may want one if you're used to it. Hopefully Apple ships an independent 4K or 5K display someday.

5. cardfan macrumors 65816

It might be better if you could describe the small business which could be anything really. But at the minimum, check with your cpa.