Switching from Windows, what should I know?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Aditya_S, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

I'm switching from Windows 10 to OS X or MacOS if they call it that since I'm getting a MBP. What are some major differences between OS X and Windows that I should know before moving? If I send a file from OS X to Windows or vice versa, will it be compatible? Are there things missing on OS X that Windows has? Also, does Apple allow you to download any file from a browser and launch it, or does it sometimes require you to trust it like iOS?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, provided its compatible on both platforms, i.e., text files work fine, but if you're sending a garageband file from the mac to the PC, then no.

That's a bit too wide open, there are things in Windows but not OS X, and vice versa. Your best bet is to use the computer and then figure out what may not be working as well, and try to address those situations (if they arise).

Basically yes, but if the file type is not associated to any known program,then there's nothing you can do with it.
    Plus I question the downloading any file from the internet, all sorts of bad things are lurking,and I'd be careful of opening files and opening them up willy nilly.

3. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

The best resource, IMO, for switching is a book from David Pogue entitled Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual. Here's the TOC from the Snow Leopard version... that was the version of OS X that was out when I made the switch. Pogue has updated/released a version for each release of OS X.

https://www.amazon.com/Switching-Mac-Missing-Manual-Capitan/dp/1491917970

Attached Files:

4. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

Sometimes it is necessary for me to download a file such as school work that a teacher sends me and other things which is why I asked.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sounds like that would be either a PDF or MS Word document, and both of those will work fine on OS X.

Some info on Apple's web site here that might also help you.

http://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/

6. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

If I don't have MS Office and I download a Word document, does it just open it up in Pages?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes exactly. I do the same and the only issue I have is sometimes Pages will pop up a message saying I don't have a font from the original document so it substitutes an OS X font. No big deal.

Pages is fairly basic and if you get a Word or Excel document with some advanced features used, you might have issues with Numbers and Pages, but for most things I never have trouble.

8. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll probably just end up buying MS Office for Mac then.

9. Jyby macrumors 6502

You should know, not everything works on Safari. But 99% of things do so dont get sucked into believing Chrome is better than Safari.

I use Safari 99% of time, and Chrome for the other 1%...

10. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

A good, basic video presentation :
    I haven't watched his El Capitan one but history says it'll be worthwhile :

Lastly, I switched several months ago and I found a conversation*, between @navaira and @KALLT, helpful in the sense of keeping me focused on "what is this new to me OS" rather than the differences and similarities between Windows, Linux and OS X.

*The essential part of the conversation (posts 301-308) : http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...e-than-yosemite.1931491/page-13#post-22333305

PS: I'm quite happy with OS X. Other than to maintain my Windows machines, they're not used. I've learned a great deal here at MR through searching. Many good people here. I thank them for that.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, though the formatting may not be exactly the same, and also if you email her an exported version of your document (in word format), means it may have different formatting.

I usually recommend getting Office for those who will be interacting with others who use the Word. Basically, its less disruptive when using the same application to collaborate and/or share information.