Switching from wireless network to ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by downingp, Jul 6, 2008.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

Lately I have been having problem with my wireless network. I can't even seem to have a decent conversation on iChat anymore. I am currently using a cable modem into my airport extreme. I was told by the cable company that I could buy an adaptor so I could plug the cable modem into the ethernet port so all of my ethernet ports in the house would be able to access the internet once I plugged the ethernet cable into the computer. What kind of adapter do I need to get exactly? If I get this adaptor, could I still setup a wireless connection with my laptop plugging the airport extreme into an ethernet port?

Thanks for your help.

2. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

3. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Isn't the airport extreme being used as the router?

4. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

sounds like it and all they need are ethernet cables to plug into the back of the airport base station.

5. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you are thinking if I have the cable modem plugged into the airport extreme all I need to do is have an ethernet cable going from the airport extreme into the ethernet jack in the wall?

6. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

7. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

can anyone else agree or disagree if I am able to use the airport extreme to connect to the ethernet jack and still have a wireless network connection

8. paduck macrumors 6502

You can use the Airport Extreme as both a wireless and wired router at the same time, that is what it is designed to do.

However, you will need to place the router at the central location where all your ethernet wires run. You are also limited to the three Ethernet ports on the Extreme for wired access. How is your house wired for Ethernet? That is a key question.

A question though about your setup - how far away from the router is your computer? In other words, should you actually be having an unstable network connection via wireless? Based on my experience, there is a possibility that the degradation in performance is actually the cable modem/cable line. You should verify that you have a good, strong, clean signal coming in. Even if you are wired via Ethernet, that will not solve a signal problem between you and the street.