Switching graphics chips on newest MBP modles (late 08)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dragonlance1561, May 5, 2009.

1. Dragonlance1561 macrumors member

Dragonlance1561

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about apple making it possible to switch chips without having to log off?
    It's a real pain since you have to close everything. I end up just running mine with the 9600M all the time because when I remember to switch it I have 3 apps open already and don't want to close them just to change the graphics.

2. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

3. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

As I understand when you switch it has to completely change the way the logic board functions so that necessitates logging off. When I first got mine I figured I would either be able to hot switch them or completely restart, logging off is kind of strange.

4. magamo macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's not the most convenient way. But to be honest, I don't notice any difference in performance between the two graphic chips, so I always forget which one I'm using now.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The hope is that with the arrival of Snow Leopard we'll be able to switch GPUs on the fly (without logging out) Other then that hope, there' only one option - get used to it as the other poster put it.

I don't switch my GPU that often, It will stay on the 9400 if I think I'll be going mobile and it will stay on that for a long time, until I feel like logging out and then when I do its back on the 9600m.

One thing I found, is the MBP runs maybe about 10c hotter with the 9600m and so if I don't need/want the extra horse power the discreet GPU brings, I'll keep it on the 9400 just to keep the temps down.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sure when they decide to write drivers with Hydrid SLI (and then you don't get a choice since the computer will auto-choose and decide which one to use).

7. Shivetya macrumors 65816

I use the 9600 unless I am on battery only.

Not hard for me to know when to swap.

8. PDE macrumors 68020

Unless I really need power, I just use the 9400. It provides great battery life and less heat generation. Would be nice if I didn't need to log out, but it's not really a big nuisance unless you need to switch between the two all the time.