Switching Hacked iPhone back onto AT&T - RELOCK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NicksHeine, May 13, 2008.

1. NicksHeine macrumors newbie

I bought a fully unlocked iPhone from Hong Kong. It works perfectly and on any sim card.

I now want to use it in the States but I will need a new AT&T plan. Will they sell me just the plan? Will I have to 're-lock' the iPhone so that it will work? Or can I use my hacked iPhone with AT&T with no problems?

Please help me!:)
    Thank you in advance!

2. mtfield macrumors 6502

Go to At&t and ask for an iphone sim card... they will sell it to you for cheap if not just give it to you... then take your iphone home do a restore in itunes and that should completely relock it. then just pop in the sim and do the iphone set up run through on itunes... but if you dont want to do that then start any plan with either att or tmobile and just pop that sim in the iphone and you should be good!

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Just restore your phone, get an AT&T SIM card by going to a location and do all the rest through iTunes. Very easy to do.

Good luck.

4. NIPRING macrumors 6502

Slightly off topic, I've heard that in order to have Apple take any warranty action on an iphone, it not only has to be restored be re-virginized. I'm talking about jailbroken iphones of course. Can anyone confirm this?

Bill

5. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Jailbreaking is completely erased with restore I believe.

Unlocking survives restore.

Best bet would be to get BootNeuter from Installer, turn everything off, (choose the bootloader version that coincides with the manufacturing week of the iPhone) then restore.

6. NicksHeine thread starter macrumors newbie

Fully functional unlocked iPhone?

What if I keep it unlocked, will I still be able to use all the iPhone functions on AT&T?

I know that updating the iPhone will lock it but all updates are not automatically downloaded, right? So, do I need to worry about it locking itself if I don't intend to upgrade it?

Thank you very much for all the feedback so far!

7. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

Just put in an ATT sim, the phone will work just as it was before, except you will get visual voicemail.

In fact there's not even a need to get ATT unless it's the service provider you prefer.

8. NicksHeine thread starter macrumors newbie

Advantages with AT&T

Are there no advantages to signing in with AT&T? And if there are, will I still be able to have them even when my iPhone is unlocked?

Thank you once again!