Switching Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nigelly, Apr 5, 2009.

1. nigelly macrumors regular

nigelly

Hi there, I have a Mid 2007 Macbook and I have a 250gb hard drive in it. I broke the 2007 Macbook but the hard drive is still intact. I now have a current Macbook, Aluminum base end model, brand new. Obviously some drivers and software would be different but If i put the 250gb hard drive in the new macbook and used the disks that came with the new macbook, would I be able to use the new hard drive without having to wipe it clean, so i basically just upgraded it from the software that came with the 2007 macbook? Would this work?

Thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It should work just fine from the get-go, no need to change or reinstall anything.

3. nigelly thread starter macrumors regular

nigelly

Wouldn't it need new drivers though? Cause not only is it a different macbook, but the trackpad is all different now and stuff.

On another note, will it upgrade itself with the new version of iLife if I reinstall leopard with the new disks?

Thanks!

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It shouldn't, no. I ran the hard drive from my dearly departed MacBook Pro in an external enclosure connected to my mother's iMac for months with no ill effects. Contrary to popular belief, Macs aren't driver-free, they just come with gigabytes of drivers preinstalled. If the system is up-to-date, it should have all of the drivers it needs to run on any Intel Mac.

Yes. You can also use Pacifist to install iLife manually from the restore disks.