Switching HD - MB and MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SubaruNation555, Mar 5, 2009.

1. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

My father has a 2.0GHz Core Duo BlackBook running 10.4.11 and I was looking to trade him for my 2.2GHz MacBook Pro running 10.5.6. The BlackBook has a 120GB Toshiba HD and the MacBook Pro has a 120GB Fujitsu HD. Is there any chance swapping drives would work instead of reinstalling everything. I have head mixed responses between doing this between two MacBooks but couldn't find anything on a MacBook and a MacBook Pro. Thanks for your time.

2. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

there are going to be issues with the swap. You're switching from a Core Duo to a Core 2 Duo, different operating systems, & different computer models. Switching from a macbook to a macbook with different chips isn't compatible (just tried it the other night) so i would expect to the same would apply in this case.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That's not going to go well I'd wager.

The OS installs are hardware specific, and on top of that, you're switching OSes and chip types as the previous poster said.

Your best bet would be to use something like Time Machine, or Carbon Copy (in the case of your 10.4 system) to back everything up to an external drive, then restore to the other computer.