Switching HDD/SSD voids warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NovemberWhiskey, May 18, 2009.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

First-time poster here.

I am considering a 17'' MBP, and I am wondering if swapping the standard 5400 RPM 320Gb HDD to a 256 Gb SSD will void the warranty on the macbook.

I keep hearing about how the Toshiba SSD that Apple puts into the MBP is inferior to other products. Is it worth it to just buy a standard HDD, and upgrade the drive myself later to a Samsung 256 Gb SSD?

2. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

thanks. is that Apple's official policy?

When I was in the store, I asked two different reps and they both said I cannot switch the HDD myself without voiding the warranty.

I thought it was a little weird since this seems to be a common swap.

3. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Of course they did, they want your money.

It is fine. It is in there printed manual and on the website and so, as they provide instuction on how to replace the hard drive, it is a user serviceable part.

The only way you would invalidate your warranty is if you don't follow the instrcutions to the letter. i.e. you carefully take it apart with a hammer

4. ethical macrumors 68000

yeah you're absolutely fine to do it yourself. just remember though.... if you break anything in the process (tear a ribbon etc), then you will be responsible.

5. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Thanks for the help!

So do you guys think it is a better idea to just get the standard 5400 RPM HDD, and then upgrade to a SSD myself so I can get the Samsung/Vertex/OCZ? Or is the difference small enough so that I should just get the Toshiba that Apple ships?

My friend told me that if I buy the Macbook from Amazon, I don't have to pay tax on it. And they only have the standard drive. Is it true you don't have to pay tax for computers via Amazon if you live in California?

6. Jocelyn84 macrumors member

You're friend is right, but you might get some better prices comparing here http://www.pcprices.net/macbookpro17.shtml (Mostly apple authroized online retailers)
    They list which states have to pay taxes for each retailer and don't forget to use windows live cashback to get a little money back from the purchase :)

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

8. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Wow! Thanks for the link. Bookmarked!

I always thought Apple prices were the same wherever you buy them.

9. Eyedn macrumors regular

I didnt know retail stores could swap HDD's.

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They can't give you instructions and void your warranty at the same time. ;)