Switching HDD's without losing files?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ramzhh, Apr 23, 2010.

1. ramzhh macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I just wanna know, for example, if I replace my MBP's hard drive with SSD, what do I do to keep the files, OS's, and everything still in place? I mean, to transfer like 200 GB isn't very easy without an External HDD, so I wanna know how you do it. I thought about putting everything, including the OS, in an external drive but it seems to me that the computer will probably not recognize the OS, or something.

I hope you understand what I mean.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Buy an external HD and use Time Machine to backup your Mac. Then install the SSD and OS X and it'll ask if you want to migrate from TM backup, select yes and plug in the external

3. ramzhh thread starter macrumors regular

Back up with TM, to the external HD? If I do that, why the hell would I need to install OS X again? I just don't get it. Call me a Mac noob, I appreciate it :p :apple:

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Noob,

how big is your SSD? If you just wanted to clone over from one hard drive from another, you'd need an enclosure. After that you'd boot your machine from the current drive, load up superduper!, clone over to the SSD and do a straight swap.

5. ramzhh thread starter macrumors regular

Lol.

So everything will be in place, and the SSD recognized... nice.

Well, thanks :)

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I wouldn't copy OS. I've driven into problems when doing that multiple times on Windows. Installers are there for a reason. Sure, people have done it without problems but it's still not recommended

7. stumbletown macrumors newbie

Could always pop the superdrive out, put the old HDD where the optical drive goes and the SSD into the HDD bay. Use disk utility to copy everything over, then put your superdrive back in place. Believe this would work without requiring you to buy an external enclosure.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I understand what you're saying but OP just wants a straight shoot. It would be a different ball game if OP was porting his installation to another machine (diff gpu/architecture/hardware) which I wholly do not recommened such a straight swap. I also wouldn't do it on Windows just because that's the way it is (and the activation assistant would flip out).

When I swap my own drives no matter the OS I always deactivate high $ wares (solidworks/adobe apps) and uninstall the rest and finally wipe the drive clean. But not everyone needs that level of complexity.

Besides, this is OS X we're talking about, not NT ;)

9. ramzhh thread starter macrumors regular

So have we a final decision on a simple, fast way to transfer everything to a new drive?

Also, it seems to me that if I have to reinstall OS X, I'll have to...buy it?

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yes just clone it over with superduper.

No you don't have to buy OS X. Simply use the disks that came with your machine (the first disk).

11. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

SuperDuper!

+1 for "SuperDuper!" easy software and not an "archiving" system like TM.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

mm, you have a point there. I have externals and multiple backups so I just do it with the secure way ;)

I had no issues with my Adobe wares when I migrated from Leopard to Snow Leo (clean install, used TM backup), only had to update Little Snitch and everything was working :cool:

13. ramzhh thread starter macrumors regular

Alright... Thanks, if I ever have a problem I'll let you guys know.

14. hypermog macrumors regular

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That doesn't work, as far as I know. You need another Mac for that, or TM backup.

16. hypermog macrumors regular

Yeah you're right. I guess TM with a USB enclosure is the best route then.