Switching HDs for Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gaelic2, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

I have a new 1.5TB for Time Machine. Is there a way I can transfer the data from my old HD onto the new one for time machine? I hate to lose three years worth of backup.:confused:

2. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

From Apple Support... http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427

Mac OS X v10.6: How to transfer your backups from your current hard drive to a new hard drive

If you upgrade to a new hard drive with a larger capacity, you may want to transfer your existing Time Machine backups to it before using it for regular backups. To keep your existing backups on your new, larger backup hard drive, follow these steps:

1. Connect your new hard drive.

2. In Disk Utility, make sure it has a GUID partition and is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If needed, reformat the drive as Mac OS Extended with a GUID partition. If you do not know how, see the steps in this article. Note: Back up any data on the hard drive before you format it.

3. Select the new drive's icon on the desktop and choose Get Info from the File menu.

4. Make sure "Ignore ownership on this volume" is not enabled.

5. Open Time Machine preferences in System Preferences.

6. Slide the Time Machine switch to Off.

7. In Finder, double-click the current backup hard drive to open its Finder window.

8. Drag the folder "Backups.backupd" to the new hard drive.

9. Enter an administrator user name and password, then click OK to start the copying process. This may take some time to complete because all your backups will be copied.

10. In Time Machine System Preferences click "Select Disk…"

11. Select your new hard drive, then click "Use for Backup."

3. Gaelic2 thread starter macrumors 6502

What is a GUID partition? I did as you said and I did create a partition for Time Machine. It was already formatted as a journaled HD. It is now copying. Thanks so much for the help!