Switching iPhone every year

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amarano, Sep 26, 2015.

1. amarano macrumors newbie

maybe someone else does this so I figured I'd ask.

I've had the iPhone since the original one and t used to be an upgrade every year for me at least on ATT.

so I would buy the phone keep it in pristine condition and sell and buy the new one year after year. when it switched to every two years I think I would buy out of contract. I know I did it for the first white one. I think it was the 4S.

after that phone I went rogue and switched to galaxy and then one plus and finally went back and got the 6.

what I did though was take my dads upgrade with Verizon because he's old school and been using the same flip phone forever. and Verizon iPhones are unlocked.

so now I'm here thinking. I don't really need the 6s and I do have my own upgrade with ATT. but I'm kind of lazy to go get the new phone and the hassle of selling my 6 on Craigslist. but I feel like financially it's the smart thing to do because I believe for a 128gb 6 I can get like 500. I feel like if I don't I'm gonna be losing the money I can get by reselling it.

now because I'm 2 years removed and have an upgrade I think I can just pay the upgrade price. but is there a way with one of these new plans where I can get an upgrade every year with that "next" program or is it the same old upgrade every two years thing.

I know this was convoluted and long but I feel like I've read about other people doing what I do or at least used to do by flipping the current phone on the aftermarket. so what did you guys do this time around ?

2. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

I did the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program. It lets me get a new iPhone every year after 12 payments. You just pay the 1st payment and the tax when you get it. It also has AppleCare plus in that price. After 12 payments you give them your phone and they give you a new one.

http://www.apple.com/us/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

3. KPOM macrumors G5

AT&T Next is just a way to spread the payments out over time. If you have an AT&T Mobile Share Plan, you get a discount on your monthly bill (basically to make up for not getting a subsidy). However, if you have a legacy unlimited plan, it is cheaper to get the upgrade with the 2-year contract, since AT&T doesn't discount those plans even after your contract is up. The downside is that the phone is locked for the duration of the contract.