Switching iPhone to old phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmo1116, Jan 11, 2011.

1. jmo1116 macrumors regular

Quick question...I am selling my iPhone 4 and I am on AT&T. I have a dumbphone that I want to revert to and activate. How do I go about switching from the iphone to the old dumbphone? Can this be done online? Also, I am on the 200MB data plan and my cycle ends on 1/20.

2. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

go to an att store to get a regular SIM. They will do everything for you and remove the data plan if needed

3. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Normally you could just swap the SIM card but since the iPhone 4 uses a microSIM, you'll have to go to an AT&T store, get a new SIM card and reactivate the old phone.

4. jmo1116 thread starter macrumors regular

I already have a sim card for the dumbphone from when I was using it before I got the iPhone 4. Can it be used or do I have to buy a new sim card for the dumbphone?

5. dave006 macrumors 68020

No you can't reuse a SIM once it has been deactivated. You will need a new SIM. You should not have to purchase a new one. Take both phones to the AT&T Store and as a previous poster indicated, they can fix you up.

They will deactivate your current Micro-SIM from the iPhone 4, drop the data plan and activate a new SIM for your dumbphone.

Dave

6. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

7. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Or...You can buy a Micro SIM adapter and just put the micro SIM into the dumbphone

8. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

You must go to an AT&T store and get a new SIM card (or order one on ebay). Then, either have the store personnel do it, or call AT&T customer service and they will do the transfer for you.

Either way, get a new SIM card and contact an AT&T rep. Very easy to do.

9. jmo1116 thread starter macrumors regular

So I can use the micro sim in the dumbphone using an adapter? Then how do I go about removing the iphone data plan? Thanks.

10. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes, if you really want it to be self-service. You will need a Micro-SIM to SIM adapter. Once you have the dumbphone active, just call AT&T Customer and ask for the iPhone data plan to be removed, you can't do it self-serve.

The rep may also ask for the IMEI of your dumbphone to update the IMEI on the account when they go to remove the iPhone data plan.

Also if your long range plan is to switch back to your iPhone 4 and just use it without a data plan, don't bother as your iPhone 4 will turn you in the first time it connects to the network. :eek:

Dave