Switching iPhones.. Little Help Please.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cmsmithatc, Oct 17, 2011.

1. cmsmithatc macrumors newbie

Any help/advice would be appreciated. TIA

Back Story:

- Father has a 3GS that has NOT been changed to iOS5.
    - I have a iPhone 4 with iOS5

Father used his upgrade to get a 4S to give to me and in return is taking my 4.

Once they activate the 4S tomorrow, our plan is to switch SIM cards.

Questions:

1) Do I just have to put my SIM in, log into my iCloud account, and all my info will be pushed to my phone once under wifi from there?

2) Should I reset my 4 once the SIM so that my info is cleaned out?

3) Mother and father share an iTunes account. Should he plug in, restore from backup, and then set up his own iCloud which will back up the same info as my moms but he can delete any thing he does not want from that point?

4) Could he use same iCloud account and just turn off picture sharing on his phone if that is the only difference in their phones?

Thanks again....any help is much obliged...

2. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Instead of switching SIM cards, just call AT&T and ask them to change phone numbers for you.

They should be able to do that while you're on the phone, and it's much better than fooling with SIM cards.

You'll need the IMEI number of both phones (you can get it from the summary screen in iTunes)

As far as Data goes, the iPhone's don't store anything like your address book on the SIM. I do think that Carrier information and such is stored on the SIM, and that's why you probably don't want to just swap them out.

Some folks have reported that SIM swapped iPhone 4S's don't seem to be using the full dual channels on AT&T's HSDPA+. Don't know if that's true, but there's no need to find out when AT&T can just swap the info for you.