Switching Mac Minis, what I need to backup & how to restore on new system?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rvs007, Oct 26, 2014.

1. rvs007 macrumors member

A week ago I bought a refurbished late-2012 Mac Mini dual-core i5. The Mac has been up and running for the last few days. On Friday, I managed to find a refurbished late-2012 quad-core i7 for a bit more money. I decided to get the i7 and return the i5.

I'm new to the Mac environment. I do have Time Machine hooked up to the system and it's running. What are the steps I need to take to move my current configuration to the new quad-i7. Assuming the Time Machine has the entire HDD backed up on the i5 (how do I check?), do I simply plug that into the i7 and it will automatically detect I want to restore the backup?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

If you have both Mac connect them together with the fastest port cable you can use to connect both. Then on the new launch /Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant.app and transfer everything you want except Network settings. Do those manually

Now if you have a Time Machine disk gave it connected when you first power up and it will ask you to bring in data from the Time Machine backup.

3. rvs007 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I will have a few days before I have to return the old one, so I guess that's the way to go? I guess it doesn't matter if the new one will be running Maverick, while the old one has been upgraded to Yosemite?

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then just transfer document, pictures, email & music. There are check boxes in Migration Assistant that you can choose.