Switching Mac OSX from another language to English.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wants2tryMac, Aug 17, 2009.

1. wants2tryMac macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I need your help. I want to buy a MBP 15" pretty soon, but I've a slight problem. As I am a student, I got a fairly used macbook at a discount from a someone. However, the OS is in Hungarian. I'm new to the OS and I was wondering if there was a way I could change it to English (I know there is and I would look stupid if someone points it out to me:()
    Also, I got an iphone 3GS too. Is it possible to upgrade from Hungarian to English?
    I speak excellent English, but I study in Hungary, Europe.
    Any help or other suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.:D

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Go to System Preferences (kedvezmények rendszere) -> Country (ország) -> Select language

I used Google Translator so my translations to hungarian might be wrong :p Country settings are third from the left in the top category (outfit), it's the one with the flag

3. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Or you could do an erase and install with the original system disks. When you start up after that you can choose your working language and you'll have a clean install.

4. wants2tryMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.

I'll try both ways when I get the macbook pretttttty sooooooooooooooon!!!
    BTW, how about the iphone 3gs stuff? Any ideas?:confused:
    Thanks lots again guys!

5. macshill macrumors 6502

macshill

True story: My ex has just finished university and is studying to be a Spanish teacher. So he texts me in Spanish. So I thought I'd be a smartass and show off by using FreeTranslation.com, then Google Translator for free online translation and responding in Spanish. So I do that for a bit and think I'm doing well. Then I ask him if maybe GT was better than others and he says what I translate is kind of sketchy, but he gets the general idea of what I was saying! :p

The moral to this story: I don't think there's ANY onlines sites that give word-to-word trannys... or at least in the *free* sense! I know they offer a paid service. I wonder if an electronic translator device would be more, as same or worse at translating (?). :)

6. davidlv macrumors 65816

On my 10.5.8 Power Mac Tower it's System Preferences - International (not country). You drag the language you want as the primary language to the top of the list and log out to have the system use that language (apps will use it the next time you start them up). You can still switch to other languages using the menu at the top right of the menu bar with the flag.
    Off topic but important to some, machine translation is at best, just passable and often horrible. Someone said good machine translation is about 50 to 100 years away, it's not the processing power, the programming is just not up to it now. I work as a professional translator (Japanese to English) and I absolutely refuse to correct machine translations! That's how bad they are, at the present. Just My Opinion :cool: