Switching MBP's

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ritsard, Aug 6, 2009.

1. ritsard macrumors regular

ritsard

Hi,

I currently have a 2.33 Core 2 Duo MBP that I got for work (was brand new) but after the long run, the screen got a few burn marks supposedly from the heat on the keyboard. It has a 120 GB HD and 2 GB of RAM.

One of the coworkers had to leave and now there is a spare 2.4 GHz C2D MBP. I am thinking of using it instead of what I have because of the LED backlight screen and bigger HD (160 GB). However, it has a few scratches here and there and the casing isnt "mint" like how I took care of what I am currently using?

What do you guys think?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Never heard of burn marks on a screen due to keyboard heat, but even leaving that aside a faster CPU, better screen, bigger drive, and newer chipset (you didn't say whether the potential replacement was a Santa Rosa, "08", or unibody, but any of those should beat the chipset in yours) vs. a few cosmetic dings. Sounds like a total no-brainer to me.

But then, maybe you put higher priority on case condition than I do, and/or you think this was mistreated enough to maybe make it fail early?

3. ritsard thread starter macrumors regular

ritsard

Checking on Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro

I have this Model MMA610LL which is a Late 06

The spare system is a MA896LL/A

It says both are Merom....

Yeah, scatches do annoy me but I am thinking about the screen as that is what I usually stare at. I can ignore the dings and scratches but....

4. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

if you can live w/ some scratches then go for it i suppose...

5. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

Do it! LED is amazing. You won't be staring at the scratches on a regular basis like you will the display.

6. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

i have the machine that your looking at getting into.. its immense, not as fast as the recent updates, but still a solid computer, fast and stable. I have the 200gig HDD version. Received a geekbench score of 3175 on my machine..

Good luck

PTP

7. highertechnology macrumors 6502

Id take a scratched case over a burned screen any day.

8. ritsard thread starter macrumors regular

ritsard

thanks guys...I took the plunge. i checked more into the specs and found that the DVD burner is much faster. since I do a lot of DVD burning stuff for work, it seemed logical to have this along with the rest of the benefits i would get. I wonder if they'll get me a unibody sometime soon hahahaha