Switching multiple users to iPhone 4 on one PC / one iTunes install

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by markolinux, May 20, 2011.

1. markolinux macrumors newbie

Howdy,

I searched around a bit and couldn't find anything similar to my situation, so.... new thread.

We have half a dozen users here at work that have either an iPhone 3G or 3GS, or Blackberries, and we are all upgrading to iPhone 4 on the same contract at the same time to "simplify" things.

I was wondering if there was a way to install iTunes on one PC, and then have each user log in using their network login (thus creating a separate iTunes profile for each user), and transfer their current phone to iTunes, back it up, then move the SIM card to the new phone, and resync iTunes to that one, log out, and repeat the process for each user.

I'm researching how to switch the Blackberry users over, but for now I'm just wondering if the above process will work for all iPhone users.

Will I have to start with an older version of iTunes installed for the 3G phones, or just install the latest version for the whole process? OR..... back them all up first with an older version and then resync to the new phones with a new version (since the new phones won't work with an older version of iTunes)?

I hope that's clear. :^)

If I'm complicating it too much and someone has a simpler approach, I'm all ears.

Mark

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

That should work. And I wouldn't think you would need to use an older version of iTunes. And there shouldn't be a need to swap SIMs. Just back up all the phones before you upgrade. When you get the iPhone 4s, plug them straight in and select the proper backup.

My question would be how necessary is the "one computer" requirement? If its a cost issue (as in, your business only has one computer) than that's fine. But nothing would stop you all from being on the same AT&T contract and syncing your phones on separate PCs or Macs.

3. markolinux thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

Yeah, the "one PC" approach is more of a IT concern than a budgetary one. Do we set their phones up for them or just give them instructions to do it themselves? I'm thinking they just back their phones up on their current iTunes install (at home or wherever) and then plug in the new phones and choose the right backup. If I give them good instructions, should be a piece of cake, yes? :^)