Switching Off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alkalidodo, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Alkalidodo macrumors member

Friends,

Which is the best way to switch off myMacbook with many applications open.Is it safe to Shut down or is there a safer way?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can simply close the lid to enter sleep mode. No need to shut down. When you wake it from sleep, everything will be as you left it. If you want to shut down, you can simply shut down. Mac OS X will close all the apps and ask you to save any modified files.

3. simsaladimbamba

I also vote for using the SLEEP feature of Mac OS X, as daily shutdown and startup will put more wear onto the HDD and also consume more power than letting the Mac sleep for some hours. It is also nice to have everything you worked on the night before still available to you.

4. Alkalidodo thread starter macrumors member

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The convenience is definitely there, although HDD wear is small, and sleep uses considerably more power than shutting down and startup if it's for more than a few hours on battery.

6. Alkalidodo thread starter macrumors member

But in my case i only use the computer 4 hours in the night daily. So do i choose sleep or shut down

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Either is fine. You don't have to let it sleep on battery. It's fine to leave it plugged in while it sleeps. Just be sure not to leave it plugged in all the time.

8. simsaladimbamba

Then do that. And as GGJstudios mentioned, any way is fine. Mac OS X will ask you to save any changes if you haven't yet.