Switching on internal speaker

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Sasuke-chan, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Sasuke-chan macrumors member

Heya,

I just bought an ipod touch last friday and.. obviously I am still very noobie at operating it.

So.. I am having trouble finding where/how to switch on the internal speaker. It's kindda weird that occasionally when I switch it on, the speaker is automaticallly on, and occasionally it just turns off by itself and I can't find where to have it turn on. The sound was fine when I plug in the earphones though.

So please teach me how! Thanks!!

2. lostless macrumors 6502

The ipod touch speaker turns on when there is no headphones or docking device plugged in to it. The ipod keeps track of the different settings of volume for the headphone jack and internal speaker. If you want to turn the internal speaker off, unplug your headphones and turn the volume all the way down. When you plug in your headphones, it remembers your last setting for the headphones and will bring up the volume to your last volume with headphones. When you unplug the headphones, It will remember you muted the internal speaker. To turn the internal speaker back on, unplug the headphones and turn up the volume.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

- If you pick your iPod up without headphones and press play, the music will play through the speaker (provided it isn't turned all the way down).
    - If you have headphones in, pulling them out will NOT cause music to play through the speaker - playback is automatically paused, and you will then have to press play to get it to play through the speaker.
    - However, plugging headphones in while the speaker is playing music does not pause playback; instead, the speaker cuts out and the music automatically starts playing through the headphones.
    - There is no setting to enable/disable playback through the speaker. Basically, if you don't have headphones in and press play, it'll play through the speaker regardless of whether you want it to or not.

4. Sasuke-chan thread starter macrumors member

hi, thanks for the replies.

I dunno if there's a problem with mine.. when I connected it to the usb (to laptop), the speaker doesnt work.

When I unplug it from my computer, turn off the top button (issit the sleep/wake button), slide to unlock it, and play the music, it doesn't play through the speaker either...

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Yeah, sounds like a hardware problem. Mine has no problem playing when it's connected to the USB cable; the volume isn't even affected one bit.
    If possible, I'd get Apple to take a look at your iPod...

6. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

I assume you are referring to the iTouch phone here ?

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

What? Do you mean the iPhone?
    He specifically said on his iPod touch.
    And in case you didn't know, the second generation iPod touch has an internal speaker.

8. NaweG macrumors newbie

NaweG

Well, on the iPod Touch (2nd Gen, 8 Gig) I just got last week, I've noticed that if I have the headphones plugged in, and then pull them out, it doesn't automatically switch to the speaker. Instead I have to turn the device off, and then back on. So it's as if it doesn't notice the headphones are gone unless it sees them missing at the get go.

So now I'm wondering if it IS a hardware problem, or a new "feature" or...

9. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

When you unplug your headphones it should pause the music. Press play and it will go through the internal speaker.

10. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

^ this.

And like I said earlier, the only time it doesn't pause the music is when you're playing it through the speaker and THEN connect headphones.

11. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

It's not supposed to pause when you plug in the headphones after playing audio through the speaker.

12. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

...which is exactly what I posted. Unless, for some reason, you decided to just repeat what I said.

13. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

OH. Sorry Ivan. I thought you were the poster I had quoted. LOL.
    And he probably didn't read what you posted earlier if he still asked the question.

14. Sasuke-chan thread starter macrumors member

Hiya! Thanks for the replies.. I have concluded that there's something wrong with my ipod touch..

I brought it to the apple technician in school and he suggested that I do a full restore. However that didn't solve my problem.

No matter whether I switch off the phone and then on later, the speaker just doesn't work. Now, it seems that the only time it works is when the alarm rings =.=.

So I decided that I will bring down my touch to the apple store that I bought it from and demand a one to one exchange and pray that nothing happens after this. Sigh.. This wasted my full body protection, antiglare and cute skin... which costed almost 50 bucks. Sigh.

Oh btw, I'm female. =D

15. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

When did you get it?
    If they it's not within 14 days you can't get it replaced with a brand new one.
    And I when I took mine in to get replaced because it had a dead pixel I still had to make a genius bar appointment. The only reason they didn't make me go to the genius bar is because my dumb a$s made the appointment on my iPod and Safari crashed while halfway through so when I went to do it again the time slot was gone but they still took time and helped me out since it was the last day of my 14-day period.

16. Sasuke-chan thread starter macrumors member

I got it last friday.. so it was last than a week ago.. As such, I suppose I can have a new one for exchange. I just hope that there will not be any more problems. Do we have to make an appointment or can we just go to the shop and ask for an exchange?

Just to get some opinions, do you think I should test out every single thing (wifi, speakers, what else?) before putting the protectors on. As everyone mentioned, it is very scratch prone, so I am afraid that by the time i can get everything tested, the back is already scratched up..

17. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I'd recommend making an appointment at the genius bar just in case.

And sorry, but I don't quite understand your question.

18. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It doesn't scratch THAT easily, it's not like taking it out of the box is going to set of a reaction that will end with the iPod suddenly becoming a mess of scratches. Taking it out of the box, holding it in your hand for a minute and testing things shouldn't scratch it (unless you're insane and wear gloves made of sandpaper). It usually only scratches on abrasive surfaces - unless your shirt is made of the same stuff as the cloth that comes with the iPod, for example, I wouldn't recommend wiping it against your shirt to clean it.

So basically what I'm saying...it shouldn't scratch from just holding it to test it.

19. Sasuke-chan thread starter macrumors member

suddenly my speaker seems to be working =X.

I will test it out for a few days and see what happens. Thanks for all your help =D