Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jefke Peeters

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2020
Belgium
I have an iPad 8 left that I no longer use. Now we are going to install it in the kitchen, connected to a wall socket. Despite that, I don't want it on all the time.

The home screen contains numerous (interactive) widgets that show what the traffic is doing on the way to work in the morning, the weather for that day, etc.
Now I would like the iPad to automatically switch to that home screen. This can be done at a specific time, or with a motion sensor.

I read projects here and there where a motion sensor is defined in HomeKit that sends a notification to the iPad. With guided access, they then "lock" a specific app that opens as soon as the sensor detects movement.
Since I want to have the apps on my home screen visible in the morning, that doesn't work. After all, I don't open an app.

Does anyone have a solution for that?

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Create a shortcut “go to home screen” then create an automation that runs that shortcut at specific times.

Reactions: MBAir2010

Jefke Peeters

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2020
Belgium
Never thought about such a solution. Thanks for the clue, works perfect.

Tried the same but with the motion sensor as a trigger. But starting from a trigger from HomeKit, I can’t see the “go to homescreen” script anymore.
is this also possible in any way?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.