Switching OS with a Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by EdwardsNH, Feb 12, 2008.

1. EdwardsNH macrumors member

OK, the 32 GB convinced me to go ahead and buy the Touch.

However, I have one reservation holding me back. I'm going to be purchasing my first mac sometime in the next eight months.

I know once formated to Windows, it will also work with the Mac, but are there any advantages to having a Mac formated iPod on a Mac (If not, why aren't they just all released as Windows format from the factory)?

Problem is, if I buy some apps, then choose to reformat, getting the apps back, as well as any info stored on said apps, could be a pain in the tucas.

Realizing the apps aren't out yet, what are your opinions? Safe to go ahead and buy now, or do I wait till I pick up the Mac?

Thanks

2. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

it works with itunes and will work fine on the windoze system.

3. EdwardsNH thread starter macrumors member

Switching OS

Yes, this would be my 4th iPod. I'm aware they work just as well with Windows. Just wondering about reformatting to Mac (though not necessary).

4. Viremia macrumors regular

I have a 5th gen 30GB iPod. When I got it, I had a Thinkpad T42 and formatted the iPod for Windows. After several months, I got a MBP and used the iPod with the Mac while it was still formated for Windows. There were no problems. However, eventually I had to restore the iPod and decided at that time to format it for the Mac.

Short version: I noticed no difference between the 2 formats on the Mac.

5. darkblu macrumors regular

i guess i'm missing something here: how do you 'format' an ipod touch filesystem?

6. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

iTunes does it.

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

The only difference I think there is, is that you won't be able to update the firmware of the iPod on your mac if it's Windows formatted, and vice versa.