Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
I posted my dilemma over on the Apple boards and am having a problem getting people to understand my problem. Hopefully I'll have better luck here. I copy and pasted my post from over there, to here.
Please note where I have used the words "wired" and
'wireless".
THANKS to those who may reply:

I have a new iMac Retina coming tomorrow and have a slight problem I don't know how to handle.

I am a first time Mac user so please understand that.

Here is the problem:

I accidently ordered a Swedish wireless keyboard instead of a WIRED U.S. keyboard.

So I went down to the Apple store and purchased the correct wired one. ( I didn't want to cancel and re-order and Apple already said they will change out at the store for me later)

Anyway, it is my understand that the iMac comes already configured and Bluetooth paired to whatever peripherals one has originally ordered. I also ordered the Trackpad instead of the mouse.

So now I don't know at which point to change out the wireless Swedish keyboard for the US wired!

Is it like on a PC? Where I just plug in the wired before the first boot and the Mac will just see it and instantly replace what it was configured for and accept the wired and forget about the wireless?

Or is it going to insist on the Swedish one? I don't speak Swedish or know that language so I am scared that it is going to asking me to type in all the setup questions that I won't be able to type in Swedish.

Has this even happened to anyone that can help me?

THANKS!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Just plug in the wired keyboard and use it. You don't even need to put the batteries in the wireless keyboard.

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
The Trackpad/Keyboard is not "pre"-paired with the mac you ordered it, the computer finds the devices on bootup (or doesnt find them if you want to use your own)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
No, your new iMac simply uses whatever you decide to use. It's not pre-configured to use a wireless keyboard - but will certainly work with it first time.
You don't have to use the keyboard that Apple ships with the iMac if you prefer a different keyboard or mouse. If you DON'T plug in a USB (wired) keyboard, then the system will try to find a bluetooth device, if available.
If you choose to use some different device, then that's up to you - the iMac and the system won't care (unless you go for one of the Windows-only devices, and even then, you should get basic functionality from any keyboard or pointing device.)

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
omg!
THANK YOU ALL SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!
I should have just posted here in the first place!
My mind is at ease now.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.