Switching out HDD for an SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RWil85, Aug 9, 2010.

1. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

How involved a process is it to switch out an MBP's original HDD for an SSD?

I got my 13" MBP a week or so ago and am interested in the performance enhancements users have acquired with the use of SSD's; however, since its a fresh, new MBP - i don't know how comfortable I'd be with having to wipe or reinstall an OS (or whatever it is that needs to be done - my reason for this post) as I have never done it before...thanks for the info..

2. MoLiva macrumors newbie

Switching the HDD in the Unibody MBP is a super simple process. You do need a specialty screwdriver(can't recall the name off the top of my head) to remove the bracket holding in the HDD however.

There are alot of online tutorials on how to do it (video ones are the best) and it'll take 15 minutes tops from start to finish.

The best way to do it is a fresh install in my oppinion. Backup everything you want to keep, and after your done swapping the drive, boot from the OSX install disk that came with your system and you'll be up and running in no time.

3. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The physical switching of the drives i'm cool with..i wasn't specific enough, i'm worried more about what comes after..

so, all it would involve - would be to use the boot disk to do a fresh install of mac os x on the ssd..then take my latest backup from time machine and restore it?

4. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

yep thats it.

5. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sweetness..i'm diggin' this whole mac thing.

6. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

you can either install fresh copy of os x then migration assistant or when you boot from the os x disk you can restore from backup.

7. mmulin macrumors 6502

Even sweeter if you have a full TM backup, you can just restore everything from that after booting from the install disc. No need to reinstall the MacOSX beforehand.

8. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohhh...so, i wouldn't even need a fresh install of the OS? just the disc to get me up and going?

9. mmulin macrumors 6502

Yeap

10. nikonsean macrumors newbie

nikonsean

Yeah, I just took out my 500 5400 drive and put in an Intel G2 160 that was in a small windows netbook. The restore was fast and easy and the machine is awesome now. No more worries about moving the laptop while its busy also.

11. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

i know swapping out an HDD for an SSD doesn't void your warranty, but does putting your HDD in the optibay compromise your warranty at all? it doesn't say in the manual.

edit: wait wait wait. are you guys telling me that i can use time machine to an external HDD, then install the new SSD, install a clean copy of 10.6 and then import ALL my programs and documents/pictures/music from that time machine backup? that's it? coming from being a windows tinkerer.... that blows my mind.

12. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

from what i read..i understand it that - you DO NOT need a fresh install of the OS..you simply boot from the install disc of OS X and then run your time machine full restore..this is also my first mac, good stuff.

13. tonywang.xmpt macrumors member

its super simple.
    i remember when i first did mine.
    i was so nervous but the process was so simple,
    it made me feel dumb for being so cautious ;3