Switching Pages to "In-Line" Graphics

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Yojiirill, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Yojiirill macrumors regular

Hey, guys!

Even though I normally know a lot about Macs, I'll admit that I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to word processing. While I'm not quite smart enough to switch over to TeX, it takes some time for me to learn each feature of Pages (I'm much more of a Bean/Notational Velocity kind of guy :p).

Anyway, I've been trying to compose a project plan for my Eagle Scout service project, and I need to import JPG designs and maps into the document. But whenever I drag them in, it throws all the other text out of formation around it.

What I want is a way that, when I import an image like this, it pushes the text down, not right. Is there any way for me to do this?

Thanks in advance!
    -Charlie

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Create a text box. Insert your graphics into that.

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Just look at the toolbar. After dropping an image in — whenever the image is selected — you should see two buttons that say "floating" and "inline." Just choose inline.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

That is the default and is why his text does not wrap around his inserted graphics. Pages does not feature a graphics-specific text wrap. You must use a text box. Text wraps around textboxes with ease.

BTW, "float" is exactly what it says. The graphics float over text; the text does not wrap around the graphics.

5. PeggyD, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

PeggyD macrumors 6502a

No need to insert the graphic into a text box. Text will wrap around any object, be it a photo, a shape, a text box, etc. The main difference between floating & inline is that an inline object acts like a big text character & moves with the rest of the text.

Use the wrap inspector to select how the text should wrap. Play with the different options. I think you want the far right option to move text away from both sides of the object. Also, the default gutter/extra space of 12 points is more than most users want, so you can change that as well.

Attached Files: