Switching parts on a PM G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Bearxor, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Heres the deal:

I have a dual 2.5ghz PM G5 that works fine except that the heat exchanger leaked. Everything else is fine.

My question is, I found someone on CL who was selling a quad G5 system for $375 because of a damaged mainboard.

Could I take the Mobo from the dual G5 and put it in the case for the quad? The processor sockets are same but I'm unsure as to mounting issues. Any mac techs out there with some experience?

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Are the processors the same speed? I remember reading that the G5's bus is clocked based on processor speed; don't know if the quad vs. dual will work or not, but I'm pretty sure they won't either way if they have different clock speeds...

I'd also be worried about cooling; are you talking about putting your motherboard inside the new tower or moving the processor into your tower?

3. Bearxor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, they are indeed both 2.5ghz.

I'm talking about replacing the mobo in the quad with the mobo in the dual, which works fine. The cooling unit on the dual leaks and isn't any good anymore, but am unsure if it's the same mobo layout as far as mounting holes and such go, because I don't have the quad board handy to look at.