Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doublex14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
PA
okay, so I pre-ordered the 6S on my mom's cell number at 3AM and it'll be here on launch day. Last year when the 6 came out, I used my dad's contract and the Verizon dude did something and switched the numbers. What I'm trying to say is, I'm in Verizon and I'll be taking my mom's 6S and she will be taking my 6. Should I activate the 6S (it'll be her number I believe), then backup her old phone and my phone and just switch the SIM cards? Or will I have to call Verizon and get them to switch the phones. I want to use her new 6S put have my number. WE ARE ON DIFFERENT PLANS (I have edge) so I could not have just taken her upgrade in the first place.

Thank you so much!

aesc80

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2015
I'm on the assumption that you used the Apple Store (app or .com) to do your preorder. Normally, on these preorders, the SIM should already be active, if you provided the phone number to be used on said phone. You can always try swapping the SIM card as soon as the phone arrives. I doubt Verizon is more anal than AT&T, but I can tell you for sure that you can switch SIM cards on an AT&T GSM phone and it'll work like a charm. If you see that the SIM card hasn't been activated, then you should probably call Verizon to activate it against your mom's account.

doublex14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
PA
I'm on the assumption that you used the Apple Store (app or .com) to do your preorder. Normally, on these preorders, the SIM should already be active, if you provided the phone number to be used on said phone. You can always try swapping the SIM card as soon as the phone arrives. I doubt Verizon is more anal than AT&T, but I can tell you for sure that you can switch SIM cards on an AT&T GSM phone and it'll work like a charm. If you see that the SIM card hasn't been activated, then you should probably call Verizon to activate it against your mom's account.

Yes, I used the Apple Store app to order. So all I have to do is swap the SIM's after I activate her phone? Unless the SIM isn't already activated like you said

aesc80

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2015
Yes, I used the Apple Store app to order. So all I have to do is swap the SIM's after I activate her phone? Unless the SIM isn't already activated like you said

Correct, and that's pretty easy to do. If you put her SIM into the other iPhone, and you indeed get reception, then that's good. If you get a phone call through, that's pretty much the end of the test and you're good to go.

doublex14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
PA
Correct, and that's pretty easy to do. If you put her SIM into the other iPhone, and you indeed get reception, then that's good. If you get a phone call through, that's pretty much the end of the test and you're good to go.

Alright thank you!! So just to be clear, when it comes Friday I should activate the 6S under her number, then switch SIM cards? Or should I not even turn the 6S on and put in my SIM card and THEN turn the 6S on, then put her SIM card into my phone and turn it on.

Sorry I may sound stupid, I just really do not want to go to my city's Verizon store, it's chaos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.