Switching phones

I’mpaced

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Ok so the wife and I are with Verizon. I have the 8 plus that’s the wife wants as soon as I can’t get the X. I used my upgrade for the 8 plus and now she will be eligible for the X. To switch phones do I need to contact Verizon or can I just pop the SIM card out of mine and put in the x and vice versa?

Thanks

chscag

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I can't speak whether that will work with Verizon, but switching SIM cards between phones works with T-Mobile as long as both phones are on the T-Mobile network.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I'm not familiar with Verizon, but at the very least, stop by a verizon store and they will hook you up. They may have to program new SIMs in the system.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Ok so the wife and I are with Verizon. I have the 8 plus that’s the wife wants as soon as I can’t get the X. I used my upgrade for the 8 plus and now she will be eligible for the X. To switch phones do I need to contact Verizon or can I just pop the SIM card out of mine and put in the x and vice versa?

Thanks
I believe You should be able to rotate the sim by inserting into the phone you want and it will work as intended, at least with Verizon.

Reactions: I’mpaced

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I have Verizon and Switch sims between all my phones. The 7 plus I would have to restart phone for it to work. If the upgrade is hers then I don’t know if it will work. Best to call Verizon ahead of time.

Reactions: eyoungren

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
Yes, you can switch sims. I’d do a cloud backup then reset both phones. Put the sims in whichever phones you want to and go through the setup process.

Edit: You can’t do this with Sprint devices.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Did I miss something here? What does Sprint have to do with this thread or his question??
Yes…

Perhaps you have never been on Sprint?

You cannot just swap SIM cards with Sprint phones. Not an iPhone, not an Adroid, not a Blackberry, nothing.

With Sprint you have to login to their site or call customer service and give them the ESN (IMEI) of the phone and the serial number of the SIM that you want to pair the phone with. Then Sprint will allow it on the system. Don't do that you get no service.

Verizon, despite being CDMA like Sprint doesn't do this. You can freely swap SIMs on Verizon. No pairing.

I’mpaced

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Once I pre order and get an actual ETA. I’ll call Verizon then. I just assumed being same company but I’ll call
[doublepost=1508891895][/doublepost]
Yes…

Perhaps you have never been on Sprint?

You cannot just swap SIM cards with Sprint phones. Not an iPhone, not an Adroid, not a Blackberry, nothing.

With Sprint you have to login to their site or call customer service and give them the ESN (IMEI) of the phone and the serial number of the SIM that you want to pair the phone with. Then Sprint will allow it on the system. Don't do that you get no service.

Verizon, despite being CDMA like Sprint doesn't do this. You can freely swap SIMs on Verizon. No pairing.

I thought that was the case with Verizon.

Kahsheh

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016

Thanks
yes, you can swap sims because they are both iPhones. I have verizon. Online they have a sim swap option and when I tried it, it is just basically a sim swap.