Switching Pro's?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by azfalcons, Mar 30, 2016.

1. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

anyone here have the originals Pro and looking at the smaller one? I just bought mine about a month ago and would love the 9.7". Lol

2. lax28 macrumors regular

lax28

I am considering it. I have the 12.9 and have already ordered the 9.7. I will give it a try and either return it or have two pro's. At that point I would have to consider selling the 12.9 or actually having two, as it is now I use my 12.9 and also still use an iPad Air daily too.

3. azfalcons thread starter Suspended

azfalcons

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Naa. Once you get used to the 12.9 inch display, the 9.7 feels like an iPad mini. The productivity that the pro provides over previous iPads is largely due to the increased screen real estate. That's my take anyway, I'm sure plenty of people will disagree.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I disagree. The Mini feels like a Mini. The 9.7" is a good compromise.

7. harrypham macrumors member

No, I purchased a 12.9 128 Cellular for $949 no tax from B&H, and It will be delivered. I am still using my Air 2, so I do not need 2 9.7" iPads

8. Fthree macrumors 6502a

--- Post Merged, Mar 30, 2016 ---
    the 9.7 is entirely too small after getting used to the ipp. Even just trying to get a couple apps for my little one on my air 2 seemed WAYYYYY slower than i remember.

9. David58117 macrumors 65816

I don't see going back to a smaller iPad, after using the 12.9.

The iPad Air 2 is excruciatingly tiny, now that I'm using it.

10. jmeas macrumors regular

jmeas

I'd probably try it out if it had 4 GB ram. Either way, I'm thinking I should hold off to see what iOS 10 brings. There could be new features that are better on the 12.9" than the 9.7".

11. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I'm very intrigued by the 9.7" Pro, but when I consider it logically, there is no way I can be nearly as productive on the smaller screen as on my 12.9" Pro. If I was going to get a new MacBook, then sure I would prefer the smaller one, but since I'm trying to get along with the iPad as my main computer, I'm sure I would be sorry later on if I had the smaller one.

12. urkel, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016

urkel macrumors 68030

I dumped my iPad Pro and up/downgraded back to the iPad Air2. And I have to say that going back to a smaller screen just felt right.

I was actually using the iPad Pro as a "Pro" device.Lots of typing with the Smart Keyboard. Photo editing that benefitted from superior screen. Many movie projects edited solely on the Pro. Casual video playback that took advantage of the big screen and loud speakers. I even tried implementing the pencil into my general workflow for notes and UI navigation.

My iPad Pro experience wasn't a negative one but it always felt like a powerful computer with a tablet OS hacked onto it. But now that I'm back on a 9.7" device then everything feels like it should. A tablet OS running on a tablet.

13. azfalcons thread starter Suspended

azfalcons

14. phillyboy82 macrumors regular

phillyboy82

I did, as the larger iPP was too large for me for casual lounging use, which is what I ended up using the iPad for most of the time. It was also nice to get the LTE version with 32GB of storage, which makes the price more palatable.

15. urkel macrumors 68030

$1000 for Pro 128GB+Smart Keyboard. And in a market where 2-3month old iPad Pros were being uncharacteristically dumped at high volume with significant discounts then that was actually a good price.

It's been sad to watch the resale prices of the iPad Pro drop so quickly because it showed how desperate people were to move on. Pros have been selling at 25-30% discounts and bundling in the previously hard-to-fund Keyboards and Pencils for free. Luckily for me, I got my Pro and Keyboard at a big discount so I broke even. (I had to re-list 4 times and get a prorated refund on AppleCare Pro before I finally got serious offers but in the end I'm glad to be rid of it.)

16. DNichter macrumors 68020

DNichter

I had the 12.9 and am going for 9.7 instead. The screen is nice, but apps aren't optimized at all and really look terrible. iOS as a whole does not feel ready for a 12.9 screen, but feels right at home on the 9.7. Hopefully that changes with iOS 10.

17. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

It's funny that we're now calling a 10" tablet a compromise. Lol

18. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

I picked up the 12.9" 128gb at Best Buy last week for $799. I still have a good amount of time to figure out whether or not I want the 9.7".

Getting the smaller 9.7" for only $50 less makes it a little harder to justify the return, but I am just figuring out which iPad is more useful for everyday use. Maybe I can get away with the 32gb.

19. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I keep comparing the wife"s Air 2 to my iPad Pro 12.9 I got last week on the Best Buy price match. It looks so small to me now. For $50 staying with the big pro

20. Fthree macrumors 6502a

Agreed