Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martyrd0m

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
NJ
Im currently a grandfathered AT&T customer. Im sick of the throttling and now the lack of FaceTime over cellular is enough for me. Im jumping shipping to Verizon come new iPhone launch. Has anyone been able to preorder a new iPhone and activate a new contract at the same time? Im sure we can get a temporary number then port our numbers over when the phone arrives. Im more concerned about getting to preorder the phone and getting it on release date along with starting new service. Yes Im that big of a fanboy.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
My business rep told me that you have to have a active line for that... last year the priority went to existing customers first....

I just opened a account and put my iPad 3 on it..

I'm feeling the same as you

Martyrd0m

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
NJ
I decided to bother a Verizon rep and they said I can preorder the new phones with temp numbers then port when we get them or port numbers at time of preorder. The latter is a silly idea which would leave us with nonworking phones for up to a week. So question has been answered.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I decided to bother a Verizon rep and they said I can preorder the new phones with temp numbers then port when we get them or port numbers at time of preorder. The latter is a silly idea which would leave us with nonworking phones for up to a week. So question has been answered.

Great. And that is consistent with the advice of people on these threads given to those with the same question as you.

Also, you might now consider marking the thread as "Resolved" to avoid further posts and input.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
As someone who uses Verizon and AT&T, I would warn you the grass is _not_ greener.

After reading your reasons why, it appears you may be choosing to move out of frustration. You may find that same frustration also lives at Verizon, only the details will be different.

Think about it, I have nothing to gain by sharing this with you. The only reason I do is to save you from being sorry you changed.

Finally, for whatever it's worth. My iPhone 4S is on AT&T, my wife's 4S is on Verizon. Her usage is nearly identical to mine, yet Verizon is more expensive when averaged over the last three years.

YMMV :)

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
As someone who uses Verizon and AT&T, I would warn you the grass is _not_ greener.

After reading your reasons why, it appears you may be choosing to move out of frustration. You may find that same frustration also lives at Verizon, only the details will be different.

Think about it, I have nothing to gain by sharing this with you. The only reason I do is to save you from being sorry you changed.

Finally, for whatever it's worth. My iPhone 4S is on AT&T, my wife's 4S is on Verizon. Her usage is nearly identical to mine, yet Verizon is more expensive when averaged over the last three years.

Great advice. Don't switch out of spite or just b/c you're pissed off. Nothing will piss your off more than crappy data speeds and consistently dropped calls! (Go with the provider that has the best coverage for where you are.)

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I'm giving big red another go this time. My buddy has a vz 4g iPad. We tested it and it is faster then wifi.

I plan to wait patiently with my new iPhone hooked up to a temp number for about 2 days. Then call in and port my #. Usually the activation servers crash on launch day. Rather just wait until it is no big deal.

Never really cared for AT&T in the first place. The deal breaker with switching was the no talking while doing data simultaneously. I need to be referencing pages and emails while on the phone for work so no go.

Apparently that is fixed with 4g so goodby AT&T.

Martyrd0m

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
NJ

Im going on what my average usage has been and with a comparable month plan and my employee discount I use be around 30 bucks cheaper a month with Verizon. Yes Im angry with what AT&T is doing do us with grandfathered plans but around here all the service is about the same. The deadspots hit all carriers and Verizon has a bit better service area. Im not sure about LTE service but it can't be any better/worse then AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.